We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooks Falls Camping Reservations

Moscow, ID
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Brooks Falls Camping Reservations

How fast does Brooks Falls Campground fill up in July? If I call the first day that sites are reservable should I have much of a problem? I hate to book the flight before I get a campsite reserved. Also, how bad are the mosquitos in July - will repellant with DEET usually do the trick?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,143 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Brooks Falls Camping Reservations

Welcome to TA.

I went to Brooks in July 2007. Made my flight reservations in August 2006 but could not make the campground reservations until January 2007. You won't have a problem getting a campsite if you reserve in early January. Be sure to book one reservation for each PERSON, not one for each site.

If you are using frequent flyer miles, you can get all the way to King Salmon using miles, saving +-$400 over the cost of the trip from Anchorage to Brooks. And if you are using miles with Delta or American (and maybe some other airlines), you are allowed a free stop en route (in Anchorage is the most logical).

I didn't feel the mosquitoes were bad at all at Brooks (at least compared with Denali). I do carry close to 100% DEET with me though when I travel to Alaska since I often am at Denali where the mosquitoes are terrible until mid August.

John

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
14 posts
2. Re: Brooks Falls Camping Reservations

You don't need to make a seperate ressie for each person this year. I was able to book for two people for 5 days and they charged the $80 under one reservation. 4 days in early/mid July are already booked full. I had booked flights last Aug, a great way to use FF miles! This will be our second trip since we really enjoyed Brooks in '07. Hope you got the days you wanted!

Moscow, ID
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Brooks Falls Camping Reservations

They cvhanged the rules and let everyone start reserving Jan 5th instead of the six month rule. Unfortunately, one of the three days I wanted was booked already. Will three days /two nights be enough time do you think? Also, I am now stuck with a day to kill in King Salmon. Any suggestions on activities?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,143 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Brooks Falls Camping Reservations

Actually Jan 5th was the date to book for the entire summer at least since 2007 when I booked.

Not much to do in King Salmon but depending on when you were planning on the floatplane trip your first day anyway, you can now schedule the first floatplane out the next morning and you lose little or no bear viewing time. Just that your King Salmon lodging (book NOW) will cost you $100-$200/night vs. $8/night to camp.

We had to find lodging for a night in King Salmon because our Alaska Air flight from Anchorage to King Salmon got delayed and we missed the last floatplane to Brooks. Cost us $150 each for lodging (fortunately paid by insurance for me) but in reality we would not have gone bear viewing the night we arrived anyway so really lost just an hour or two of bear viewing.

Yes, using miles to King Salmon is an excellent use of miles, especially if they are miles with American or Delta Airlines and allow a free stop in Anchorage in one direction. I pretty much only use miles to fly to Alaska and take advantage of that free stop a lot. Last year it was combining Juneau and Gustavus on a first class ticket for 50K miles (or was it 45K?).

John

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
14 posts
5. Re: Brooks Falls Camping Reservations

John, what motel did you stay at in King Salmon? I used Alaska Air FF and their flight gets in @ 6:15pm so I need to overnite in KS. We have a stayover in ANC before proceeding to Katmai, heading to Homer and Hope for a few days to kayak, sightsee and rafting. I had used your car rental tip and snagged a good rate way back in Aug '08 too, Thanks!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,143 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Brooks Falls Camping Reservations

Honestly I don't recall the name of the place I stayed at. Alaska Air kept feeding the other traveler and me names of places they found when we were in the Boardroom (lounge) in Anchorage. It was a German woman running several cabins, mostly for fishermen. Cost $150/person and we each had our own cabin to ourselves. Not tons of options in King Salmon and not much to do there. I would go with cheap and clean. Most places will pick you up at the airport and bring you to the floatplane dock as I recall.

John

7. Re: Brooks Falls Camping Reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 09:23
Get answers to your questions about Katmai National Park...
More Katmai National Park and Preserve Topics