We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooks Camp after closure in mid September

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Brooks Camp after closure in mid September

We're planing a spontaneous trip (for 3–4 nights) to Brooks Camp this year and – no surprise – the campground is already booked out until they close on September 17th. But you can still reserve camp sites for $6/night between Sep. 18th and Oct. 31st, even though all facilities seem to be closed by then. Unfortunately, we can't find any information online about what's going on there during this time of the year.

Does anyone have experiences staying there after „closure“?

Is there anyone around in the camp for check-in/bear-safety-introduction?

Is the electric fence still operating, what kind of facilities could we expect?

Are there still enough bears around mid September?

Thanks a lot!

1 reply
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Brooks Camp after closure in mid September

You may find some maintenance workers still in the camp after the 17th but all services will be curtailed.I spent some time out there after closing one year but only a couple days after everything shut down. I am not sure about the electric fence, you may need to call the park HQ in King Salmon to get an answer to that.I think your biggest challenge will be transportation as the regular flights will have ceased and you would need to charter a flight to and from the camp. If I was going out there I might also bring a Sat phone in case of emergency and for flight information, the area does get foggy. It will be late fall/early winter at that time of year so I would plan for freezing temperatures during the nights. You may see some straggling bears but that all depends on the salmon run.

Reply to: Brooks Camp after closure in mid September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Katmai National Park...
More Katmai National Park and Preserve Topics