We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halibut fishing after Katmai

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
49 reviews
Halibut fishing after Katmai

Can anyone recommend a somewhat less visited place for halibut fishing after a Katmai visit? I know Homer and Seward would be the logical choices but I'm trying to avoid busy locations with big boats with 12+ people on them. I think we've been a little spoiled by going to Wrangell for fishing and going out with a great company where it's been only the 2 of us (in general they do max 6) and we never see another fishing boat. If I'm way off base with my assessment of Homer and Seward let me know--I didn't look at every single charter website out there.

7 replies to this topic
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
45,424 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Halibut fishing after Katmai

How about Ninilchik? That is where we usually go halibut fishing. :)

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Halibut fishing after Katmai

Thanks, I'll look in to that!

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Halibut fishing after Katmai

Personally I think the fishing's far better out of Homer or Seward that Ninilchik...just my .02.

There are many, many good 6 packs (6 person boats) out of Seward or Homer. That being said, sure, they're busier ports, but they're busy for a reason!

The only other place I'd throw out there might be Kodiak, (or Dutch Harbor if you really want to go somewhere out of the way!)

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Halibut fishing after Katmai

Good info on the 6 packs, thanks. That's what we'd want. There are a LOT of choices of charters so hopefully I can narrow it down that way.

I know we could always just stop in Wrangell as we fly home, or do a detour to Gustavus, where I've been but haven't fished. I do like that those waters are nice and protected.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Halibut fishing after Katmai

Yup, both Seward and Homer are typically open ocean. In Homer try Josh Brooks on the Huntress. In Seward Crackerjack and Profishnsea are top notch outfits.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Halibut fishing after Katmai

Are weather cancellations common in Homer?

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Halibut fishing after Katmai

Hmmm... I haven’t had a charter cancelled there, Although we did have to stay closer to port once because it was rough far out. I got canceled in Seward once…

The captains obviously want to go out, they don’t make any money sitting in Port. so your odds of having a bumpy ride are probably much better than actually being cancelled.

Reply to: Halibut fishing after Katmai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Katmai National Park...
More Katmai National Park and Preserve Topics