We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anchorage to Brooks Fall

San Diego...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Anchorage to Brooks Fall

I would love your input, family of 5 wanting to check out the bears in Brooks Fall via a day trip (from Anchorage) in late July. I’ve looked at a few website and it’s expensive (once in a life time!) just hoping I can get recommendations of perhaps “cheapest but great” day trip experiences.

We are also open to other great viewing spots.

4 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,506 posts
1. Re: Anchorage to Brooks Fall

Bear-viewing and "cheap" don't really go together, lol. But you can reduce the price by getting closer to Katmai by driving down to Homer, so the plane flight is shorter. Of course, then you have to drive to Homer (5 hrs) and drive back, plus at least 1 night lodging.

I just checked Bald Mt. Air's website, and if you pay by cash or check, Brooks is $720 pp. Whether they still will be going to Brooks on your date (they go different areas at different times of year), or if they still have room for 5, is something you'd have to ask them. There are other companies, you'd have to check their prices/availability.

Rust's (in Anchorage) has half-day trips to Redoubt Bay Lodge for "only" $695. No falls there, of course, but even at Brooks you're not guaranteed to see bears on top of the falls to try for that iconic salmon-jumping-into-bear's-open-mouth shot. Most of the bears fish below the falls where the salmon mill about.

Where else will you be during your trip?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
2. Re: Anchorage to Brooks Fall

Thanks Maple_Marshmallows for your comments.

Provided we see some bears we'll be happy. Could we see (if any) bears below the falls if we are at Brooks lodge?

We are doing a day trip to Glacier Bay, 2 days in Denali and 1 day to Kenai Fjords manly based in Anchorage.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,506 posts
3. Re: Anchorage to Brooks Fall

In July at Brooks you should see bears below the falls. You might see 1 or 2 on top of the falls too, but that would be a matter of lucky timing. You might want to look at the highlights that are shown off season: https:/…brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls . You can scroll back up to 4 hrs. at the bottom of the screen. The cam will go live again probably in mid/late June.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,111 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Anchorage to Brooks Fall

The problem with taking a day trip to Brooks is that there is a chance you will get into a "bear jam" - where the bears are so close to the bridge you need to cross to get to the falls that you are stranded on the opposite side of the river. This happened one day when I was at Brooks a few years ago. Fortunately I was there for several nights, but the falls platform was almost empty all morning. When I went to leave about noon I met two people walking toward the falls and they confirmed what I suspected - there was a bear jam all morning. These two were on a day trip and probably had at most 1-2 hours at the falls, probably less.

Just so you know that you are paying for a trip that is very iffy as a day trip - something I personally would never do on a day trip (partly for the reason you stated about cost).

Reply to: Anchorage to Brooks Fall
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Katmai National Park...
More Katmai National Park and Preserve Topics