We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too cold to camping at theBrooks camp in September?

1 post
2 reviews
Is it too cold to camping at theBrooks camp in September?

We would like to visit Katmai NP during 15-17th Sep and is wondering if it's too cold to camping in the Brooks camp or should we pay $266 per person to stay in the lodge. Is there anyone who have ever camping there in the middle of September and would kindly give me some advices? Thank you so much!

5 replies to this topic
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Is it too cold to camping at theBrooks camp in September?

Only you can decide. Back in my younger days some of our ski club members would camp out in the snow. Looks like fun - but only if you enjoy roughing it. Get a warm sleeping bag.

conn
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
172 reviews
2. Re: Is it too cold to camping at theBrooks camp in September?

Sept is fine bring a winter weight sleeping bag.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
649 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Is it too cold to camping at theBrooks camp in September?

I was there last week. Evening and nights were chilly..take thick jacket with you.

Michigan
Level Contributor
445 posts
4. Re: Is it too cold to camping at theBrooks camp in September?

Should be fine although its impossible to predict what the weather will be like. I did that 7 years ago from 9/4 - 9/7 and the temps were cool with lots of misty rain. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
501 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Is it too cold to camping at theBrooks camp in September?

We camped mid sep for 4 nights, 5 years ago. Temperature was low but not too much. With a good sleeping bag you will be fine.

Our worry was the wind or lack of it. When we arrived it was calm, so mosquitoes were everywhere and they literally enter every orifice of your body! Even under the eyelid. You need a head net.

But just after the first day we had nearly hurricane winds. Obviously we were saved from the mosquitoes, but rangers were afraid of the trees, in case one is felled down. But I preferred the wind over the mosquitoes.

It's a great experience with the grizzlies, you will see them up close. Every discomfort is worth the experience

We prefer camping over the lodge, you can stay longer there on a budget - and you can eat at the lodge restaurant.

Reply to: Is it too cold to camping at theBrooks camp in September?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Katmai National Park...
More Katmai National Park and Preserve Topics