We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waders for photography ?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Waders for photography ?

When I was doing my research for bear viewing, I'm sure there was a suggestion of taking waders to one of the sites, even though it was for photography and not fishing. Of course, I can't find it now. Would that have been for Katmai ? Are there places there, that having waders would be an advantage ?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,233 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Waders for photography ?

Are you going on a bear-viewing tour? I would expect the tour would provide the waders. The one I went on did provide them (we didn't need them for the actual bear-viewing, but when we went back to the float plane to leave, the tide was coming in and we had to wade a bit to the small boat that would take us to the plane).

Edited: 03 July 2017, 02:40
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Waders for photography ?

Not a tour as such. Two days/one night at Brooks camp.

Mentioned in this post
Brooks Camp
Brooks Camp
45 Reviews
Katmai National Park and Preserve, AK
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,058 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waders for photography ?

If you are just staying on land and the viewing platforms (best for photography of the bears), you won't need waders. I have been to Brooks multiple times and never had a use for them.

Mentioned in this post
Brooks Lodge
Brooks Lodge
180 Reviews
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waders for photography ?

You can rent waders at the store at brooks lodge.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Waders for photography ?

That solves that problem then. Thanks.

My wife pointed out that I'll have my underwater housing with us so if there are waders there, maybe I should take that to Brooks and try for a few salmon in the water shots. I'd rather have it and not use it than the other way around.

Mentioned in this post
Brooks Lodge
Brooks Lodge
180 Reviews
6. Re: Waders for photography ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2018, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Katmai National Park...
More Katmai National Park and Preserve Topics