We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ask for advice

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ask for advice

In mid-September, what gears are suggested for camping at Brooks Campground for new and old (60+) campers? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Brooks Lodge
Brooks Lodge
170 Reviews
Katmai National Park and Preserve, AK
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,934 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ask for advice

You are allowed 50 pounds of checked luggage if you use Katmailand Air then they charge you something like 60 cents/pound after that.

When I go to Brooks (it has always been in July), I take my tent, sleeping bag, mat for under the sleeping bag, clothes, cook stove and some food/utensils. I also bring my camera equipment. I always am a bit overweight going there. I usually go for 3-7 nights and usually eat in the lodge once during that time. If you plan on eating in the lodge more often, or all the time, you can bring little or no food and cook equipment.

I would definitely bring rain gear as well as some warm clothes. It can definitely get cool at night that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Brooks Lodge
Brooks Lodge
170 Reviews
Katmai National Park and Preserve, AK
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ask for advice

Thanks for your helpful advice. We'll bring enough warm stuff.

3. Re: Ask for advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2018, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Katmai National Park...
More Katmai National Park and Preserve Topics