We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three nights at Brooks Lodge in 2018

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
243 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Three nights at Brooks Lodge in 2018

My wife and I received three nights in the Brooks Lodge lottery, July 12, 13 and 14, 2018. Very excited about this, but it's such a long way out to plan and put down a $900 deposit, especially when I don't even know my work schedule so far out.

The cancellation policy is no refunds unless the room is resold. I'm figuring that with those dates, I wouldn't have a problem; the room would be resold right away, so I can safely put down the deposit now and worry about whether we can actually use the room later. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Brooks Lodge
Brooks Lodge
182 Reviews
Katmai National Park and Preserve, AK
19 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Three nights at Brooks Lodge in 2018

What would you do if for some reason you just could not go, like an emergency or something? Could it be done by calling the Lodge and see or would they just call the next person on their standby list. Actually, my Travel Agent is now working on getting us a place at King Salmon Lodge where we would just take a short hop there and back each day. Hope that works out. I just want to see a bear catch a salmon at Brooks Falls and just be there. Wanted to stay there, but it does not seem to be in the cards and I am not getting any younger.

Mentioned in this post
Brooks Falls
Brooks Falls
260 Reviews
Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
243 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Three nights at Brooks Lodge in 2018

I don't think you can transfer dates since they have a waiting list.

We are pretty much set on using only the first two nights; we have to return home on the 15th, and there's just no way to leave King Salmon Sunday morning and be back in South Florida that night; at least no reasonably assured way.

The plan now is to fly from Anchorage to King Salmon on the evening of the 11th so we can catch the first flight to Katmai at 7:30 the next morning. The only question now is when to fly back on the 14th; there's one late afternoon flight and one early evening flight out of King Salmon to Anchorage. Anybody with any experience with this? If you were going on an early morning flight from Anchorage, what would your plans be for the day before from Katmai?

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Three nights at Brooks Lodge in 2018

We were fortunate that our travel agent was able to get us a three day, two night stay at Brooks Lodge on Aug 3re & 4th so have changed our plans from Mid July to the First of Aug to fly into Anchorage on Aug 3rd, spend the night in Anchorage, then fly to Katmai on the 4th and stay through Aug 6th. On our second day there we will take the bus trip to Land of 10,000 Smokes, then spend the final day again watching Bears. I hope by then not all the bears realize that it is Aug and not late July. On our last day, we will stay at Katmai as long as we can then fly back to Anchorage, spend the night then take a flight to Juneau to visit Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjords, then fly from Juneau back to Seattle, then back to BWI. Might stay in Seattle a few days to see Mt. Rainier NP and Mt. St. Helens NP. I'm a Big Fan of the National Park System.

Mentioned in this post
Brooks Lodge
Brooks Lodge
182 Reviews
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
243 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Three nights at Brooks Lodge in 2018

Congratulations! I'm glad you're going to live out your dream of going to Katmai! Hope you have a memorable time.

Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Three nights at Brooks Lodge in 2018

I tried to get there three years ago and also to Denali NP and we got rained out of both. I had never been so disappointed in my life. We spent about $5,000 getting there to see things that I had no interest in seeing, so I am going to try it one more time. If this does not work out, I think I may consider shooting myself.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
17,035 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Three nights at Brooks Lodge in 2018

<<I hope by then not all the bears realize that it is Aug and not late July.>>

I suggest it's the salmon you want to be unsure of the month, then the bears will stay around anyway😉

Good luck, hope the trip works out for you this tme

Plantation, Florida
Level Contributor
243 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Three nights at Brooks Lodge in 2018

rebusinessforms: You might want to call Katmai Air and ask them how they book flights. We are getting to King Salmon on our own (not as part of a package) and it's a good thing we're flying to KS the night before our first day in Katmai because otherwise we would've had to wait until noon for a flight to Katmai. Because we will be in KS the night before, we can go on the first flight out before the day trippers get there (8 am). But all of the other flights until 12 noon are for daytrippers. I'm just saying you might want to call Katmai Air about your flights. And on our last day there, we have a 6:45 pm flight from KS to Anchorage, but we gave to take the 3 pm Katmai Air flight from Katmai to be sure we make it.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Three nights at Brooks Lodge in 2018

Thanks for the "Heads UP". Having my plans made by a Travel Service there in Alaska. We are flying to Anchorage from Seattle, spending the night in Anchorage and flying into Katmai the following morning. But will contact my Travel Agent to inquire about flights. Planning to spend the first day Bear Watching, then on Day 2, take the tour to Valley of the 10,000 Smokes, then return for the third day to Watch Bears and take a late flight back to Anchorage, overnight then the following morning fly to Juneau to see Glacier Bay NP and Tongass NP.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Three nights at Brooks Lodge in 2018

If you want to see bears, just take the 3 nights. It's one of the best areas in the world to see grizzly bears up close.

We spent 4 nights there in the campground, and my only regret is that we should have done more. As another person said above you spend a lot of time going and coming back. So the more nights you have the better.

Reply to: Three nights at Brooks Lodge in 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Katmai National Park...
More Katmai National Park and Preserve Topics