We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Itinerary for 3 day, 4 night trip to GSMNP

Richmond, Virginia
6 posts
Save Topic
Need Itinerary for 3 day, 4 night trip to GSMNP

College aged son and Mom will be going by car to GSMNP shortly--very shortly. We'd like to get in a hike each day, see some wildlife, and stay in hotel or BB. We are not taking camping gear other than day packs, shoes etc.

We would appreciate some place to start our itinerary---leaving Richmond Sat eve and returning Wed late morning.

Thank you for tips, suggestions, and advice. It isn't every day a 21 yr old asks his mom to do something "fun for spring break"---so I need the help of the experts!

Many thanks-

grateful mom

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
117 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Itinerary for 3 day, 4 night trip to GSMNP

On what side of the park are you planning on staying? The Cherokee, NC side or the Gatlinburg side? That might help with the starting point?

Are you looking for recommendations for places to stay or just hiking and such?

Thanks,

LBinGA

Edited: 07 March 2012, 18:40
Richmond, Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Itinerary for 3 day, 4 night trip to GSMNP

The shorter leg takes me to Cherokee or NC side. I'd love both hike and hotel suggestions. College age son will want to eat often :)

Many thanks for any help.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Itinerary for 3 day, 4 night trip to GSMNP

Can't help with the lodging part. But if you stay around Maggie Valley or Cherokee, try to get into Cataloochee to see the elk. A nice hike would be the Cataloochee Divide trail; about 1.5 miles out is a good turnaround point where there is a stepdown to a large tree and a nice overlook of Cataloochee. Down in the cove the Caldwell Fork/Boogerman loop is much more ambitious - over 7 miles, maybe more than you'd want. For short but interesting hikes, there are several cemeteries that are 1/2 mile or so hikes, but steep.

Out of Cherokee, Bradley Fork from the Smokemont campground is a nice old roadbed along the creek. Go as far as you like, then turn around. A little farther up the road, Kephart Prong is a somewhat more rugged 2-miler to a hikers' shelter.

Or from Bryson City, Deep Creek and Indian Creek are reasonably gentle hikes along either creek with some nice waterfalls easily reachable.

Richmond, Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Itinerary for 3 day, 4 night trip to GSMNP

Thanks for the guidance. You've given me great direction. Now we are checking the weather, arrival time etc and may try the longer hike.

Thanks again!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Itinerary for 3 day, 4 night trip to GSMNP

Not much to eat (restaurant wise) around Cherokee, but there's some dining in the other towns (Sylva, Maggie Valley, and Bryson City). It's more the area I plan to take a cooler to and do grocery shopping.

6. Re: Need Itinerary for 3 day, 4 night trip to GSMNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:15