We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closures, fog, Mom Nature and National Parks

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Closures, fog, Mom Nature and National Parks

Reading about the road closures reminded me of a couple of funny things about that long await vacation. It's kind of like National Lampoon's Vacation where they get to Wally World and it's closed. We're finally getting to the Smokeys, and there's all those closures.

Last fall, we drove out west and when we finally got to Mount Rushmore, the snow was so heavy (on October 5th) that we couldn't see more than 30 feet!. We have a picture of me pointing to the direction of the monument, laughing. Some friends got to the Grand Canyon and it was fogged in, couldn't see a thing!

Ya got to roll with the punches, and be glad you got the chance. Anyone else have some similar stories?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closures, fog, Mom Nature and National Parks

I'd been looking forward to camping in Cataloochee for a year, but just before we settled into the valley my dad got a call that my great uncle had a stroke. He ended up fine, but we decided to camp in Smokemont instead so we could stay where we had cell service. That fall we went to Cataloochee, and it was great.

Course, the road closures this spring are no big deal. The only real important thing you'll miss out on is Cades Cove, and even that might be doable.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
256 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closures, fog, Mom Nature and National Parks

Meant to post this here, instead of that other thread:

Our first stay in the Smokies was about 15 years ago, only for a 3-day weekend. We saved our last day to do most of our park exploring, only it was a complete fog-out. We stopped at several turnouts and "scenic overlook" -the visibility was about 50 feet-like a blanket was tossed over the mountains.

We kept on going all the way to Cherokee in a downpour, and pulled into a gas station in Cherokee where they had a bear in a cage. Sort of depressing. But we still, a memorable experience.

Edited: 03 March 2010, 04:52
right over your...
Level Contributor
962 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Closures, fog, Mom Nature and National Parks

One time I kept telling a friend about the beautiful smoke of the mountains and how it was not really fog or smoke and going on and on until she said lets go see it. All the way there I talked about it. We stayed 4 days and she never got to see smoke! I drove all over and across those mountains and no smoke! The next time I went the same year with another friend and our new cameras there was so much smoke you could not see the mountains! All the way across TN and NC! We would some times pull up to a spot where we could see the mountains but the smoke moved in so fast we could not get a picture of them!

I now have enough pics of the mountains that I go for pics of other things! The river, animals, plants, flowers, buildings, sunrise, sunset, etc.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closures, fog, Mom Nature and National Parks

We've been coming to the smokie mountains every year for the past 25 years or so....many times twice a year. Invariably, we visit the same places over and over again....Cades Cove,New Found Gap, Clingmans Dome, Roaring Fork, and all the other "hot spots". And usually I'll go thru four or five rolls of 35 mm film. Thru all this I've learned no matter how many times you visit a particular site, no matter how many times you take photos of that site....they never turn out the same.....diffarent seasons, different weather conditions, or even different angles make for more interesting photos.

Ray

5. Re: Closures, fog, Mom Nature and National Parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Great Smoky Mountains...