We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
772 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

Hi there!

I will be in Las Vegas for work towards the end of March.

I would like to take this opportunity to visit the Grand Canyon and the area round it. Can you please give me some tips on a potenial itinerary? I am planning to stay approx. 5 days.

If it makes sense, I will hire a car.

Thanks for your help!

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,606 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

Your best bet would be to hire/rent a vehicle for this trip. It's always easier and much nicer to do this on your own time!

The drive is an easy one and will take approx 4-1/2 - 5 hours of driving time. The roads are good and well marked.

I would also recommend you stay at least one night, two if you can! I would urge you to call now for in-park lodging! 303-297-2757 is the number to call. Your chances are much better if you talk to them direct via phone for reservations!

Do you like to hike? While you are there you can take a short hike down one of the two main trails, Bright Angel and South Kaibab. Bright Angel is right there behind the village area, but South Kaibab you will have to take a shuttle to the trail head or walk the 2 plus miles!

Take the time to visit the view points both East, towards the Watchtower and West, towards Hermits Rest rim drives. They are well worth the stops!

There is Klob studio which is definitely worth a visit, the new Visitor's Center and the Market Place. You may want to explore the El Tovar building if you like history! Maybe eat a meat there as well!

Enjoy your trip

SJG

Edited: 23 December 2010, 13:11
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
772 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

Thanks for your help!!!!

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

As SJG mentioned, you will for sure need to rent a vehicle, a car should do at that time of year, but do make sure to check the forecast as it could snow, not great chances of that though.... The end of March is a great time of year to visit Arizona. In 5 days, you could see plenty, and unless you really like to hike and plan on hiking all the way down or partially down the GC, I would think that 1-2 nights there is plenty. You could then explore Monument Valley, the Sedona area, you name it!

Also as suggested by SJG it is best to stay IN the park at one of the lodges, El Tovar being the top one...

I would suggest you enter by the main entrance through Tusayan, then exit by the East entrance which would enable you to do the Wupatki/Sunset Crater loop.

What are your interests?

Edited: 23 December 2010, 16:18
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,704 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

You can find a lot of information and answers to your questions in the Top Questions links on the right hand side of this page.

I'll quickly agree with the previous replies that renting a car and driving yourself to the GCNP at the South Rim is the very best way to visit the Grand canyon. Ideally, an over night stay will give you plenty of time to fully experience the GC from the rim inside the park. Book your lodging inside the park ASAP. Park hotels can book fully as much as a year in advance

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Clarify please. Are you planning to be in LV for 5 days, or do you have 5 days for the GCNP excursion? In March, 5 days would be a long stay at the GCNP. IMO 1-2 nights is plenty. But as noted, you could add a few nights to the south in Sedona, or to the north in Page/Lake Powell as an excellent compliment to your GC visit.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
772 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

Thanks everybody!!

I am actually planning 5 or 6 days in total. I will stay in Las Vegas for work before, so I will get the chance to visit the city a bit. I might only spend one extra night in LV, which means I have 4 or 5 days to visit the area around it and the Grand Canyon.

No, I am not a big hiker. I am rather lazy :(

Thanks again!!!

Cottonwood, Arizona
Level Contributor
676 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

Then I would say 1 night or perhaps 2 max at the GCNP if you can get a room IN the park. (Correct website in previous post) Not sure if you will be able to get a room, but it is worth the try. Staying in the park enables you to really take it in. The alternative is to stay in a motel in Tusayan which is really not as appealing. A helicopter ride may interest you, they are pretty affordable when it comes to heli rides which are typically more expensive. Papillon runs a great operation there.

You could then head to Monument Valley, or Sedona, or Prescott. It really depends what you like.

One thing for sure is that I would recommend two things, first that you drive route 66 between Kingman and Seligman, check out Delgadillo's Snow Cap in Selligman, then take the South Entrance into the park, after your 1-2 night stay, drive out the East Entrance, perhaps stop at the Cameron Trading Post, then do the Wupatki/Sunset Crater loop as it is very scenic and quite interesting.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,606 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

I would seriously think about adding Sedona to your trip! So much to do and see there that you will love it!

www.visitsedona.com

SJG

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
811 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

Hi DesertRose,

You keep recommending doing the Wupatki/sunset crater loop. Could you please tell me more about it? (hike or drive? estimated time to do it? points of interest it includes? how to get there if driving from GCNP (SR) thru Cameron Trading Post to Page, AZ?

Thanks !!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,704 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

http://www.nps.gov/wupa/index.htm

Wupatki is one of the most impressive Indian Ruins sites in northern AZ. The loop off of Hwy 89 north of Flagstaff also includes a drive through the Sunset Crater volcanic ruins site.

Allow 2-3 hours for the 23 mile detour including a few stops for short walks and exploration.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,308 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Vegas and Grand Canyon

You can easily spend 2-3 hours or more at Sunset/Wupatki. The native ruins are grand and quite accessible. The explanation of the volcanic nature of the area at Sunset is quite interesting. This is an easy daytrip from GC, Flagstaff or Sedona or an easy stop along Hwy 89 north of Flag and south of GC. Easy walking at various stops along the driving loop. See nps.gov for more information.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...