We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming from East Glacier en route to Kalispell

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Coming from East Glacier en route to Kalispell

I want to surprise my husband with a visit to a Hot Springs for one night. We will be coming from East Glacier and would be arriving at 8ish, but can adjust our time.

We need to leave the next morning to be in Kalispell for 9:30am. We hope to be able to dip into the hot springs in the evening and in the morning.

We don't mind driving up to an hour and a half or so.

Any prospects?

East side of...
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming from East Glacier en route to Kalispell

The only natural hotsprings I know are located in Hot Springs, Mt, about 65 miles south of Kalispell. Driving distance is abount 1.5 hrs, south on Hwy 93, the west on Hwy 28. It is a lovely "stuck in the '60's" type small community. There are smaller motels within walking distace to the facilities and a larger hotel that is connected to the Hot Springs pool.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming from East Glacier en route to Kalispell

There is Hot Springs< Mt, if that is what is refered to above. Never stopped there for the "hot springs" but the highway between is under construction again next year so this could be a slow trip.

There is another on the highway fron 200, south to St. Regis that is very developed and nice (can't come up with this name at the moment) taht would be 1.5 hours from kalispel, you can get there via 93 to 200, to st. regis.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming from East Glacier en route to Kalispell

Hmmm....I'm thinking this would not be so easy to incorporate into your trip if relaxation is what you're after. Yes, you can make the 1 to 1.5 hour drive south west of Kalispell to the town of Hotsprings, but to put yourselves under pressure of having to make it back for a 9:30 am deadline seems like too much. Like K2Kelley said, if there's road construction, there will be uncertainly with how long the delays will be.

There are only a couple of places worth staying at in the little town of Hotsprings, which indeed is like stepping back in time to the 60's or even 50's. One is Alameda Hot Springs Resort, nicely redone in a vintage style. The other is a new 3 or 4 unit place, can't remember the name. The Symes Hotel, which is one of the main developed hotsprings to enjoy, is not a place to spend the night, unless you want to surprise your husband with Salvation Army Thrift Store type ambiance. But it's fine for day use ($8 I believe) or for a simple meal.

K2Kelley was mentioning another place called Quinn's Hot Springs Resort. This is about 30 minutes farther from Kalispell than the town of Hot Springs, and much nicer in some ways.

Instead, maybe surprise your husband with an overnight stay at the Whitefish Lake Lodge, splurge on a night there instead of stressing yourselves with an extra long drive to hot springs. Just my two cents.

Enjoy, whatever you do!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming from East Glacier en route to Kalispell

Advice well taken. He had his heart set for a while on going to some hot springs. We don't want to stay in dives, but don't need a 5 star resort either. We are staying at Grouse Mountain Lodge in Whitefish. If anyone remembers the name of the newer place in Hot Springs, please chime in.

Do the springs have hours or can you go in whenever you want, evening or early morning?

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming from East Glacier en route to Kalispell

OK....more info on the hotsprings in the town of Hotsprings. The Symes Hotel is the largest, consisting of 3 concrete pools of varying temperatures. Here is their website: www.symeshotsprings.com

The new condo/apts. are northwest of Symes by just a 2-3 blocks. When I stopped by these 2 years ago they were still being built, and I don't know the name. It was just 3-4 rental units.

There are two other developed pools open to the public. One is owned by Leroy, an old Indian guy who will come over to collect your entrance fee (around $5) when he sees someone coming into his pool. The other is Rosa's, whom I believe is his wife. It's associated with the Indian community center, a large concrete block building that's easy to find. These two pools are less populated than Symes (at least, until such time as someone like me posts the info on the internet!). There are bathrooms and changing room associated with both these places, all in a very simplified version. Just ask anyone in town how to find Leroy's or Rosa's hotsprings.

Here is the Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce website: www.hotspringsmtchamber.org/businesses.htm Looks like it lists pretty much every business, with photos, so you can get a feel for this throwback of a town. However, no listing of those new vacation rental units. You might try calling the chamber and inquiring.

If you decide to drive a bit farther to go to Quinn's Hot Springs Resort, here's their website: www.quinnshotsprings.com

Quinn's is more commercial, a bit more upscale, and more crowded. Frankly, I was turned off by the weekend drinking scene at these hotsprings, since there is a bar adjacent to the pools. Being in a hotsprings pool with a bunch of loud drunks simply wasn't my idea of a relaxing time. I might return there some weekday afternoon, but not again for a weekend stay.

There's entire books on how to find hotsprings in Montana. You might do a bit of research on Amazon and come up with the title to one of these books.

Enjoy!

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming from East Glacier en route to Kalispell

Sorry...forgot to answer your question! Leroy's and Rosa's pools doubtfully have hours. Syme's doesn't post their hours on their website, best to call Symes Hotel and ask.

If you really want to do this hotsprings adventure, I strongly advise you to subtract something else out of your itinerary so that you allow more time, rather than planning a late night arrival coupled with an early morning departure. Remember, you will be stepping back in time with a visit to the town of Hotsprings, which means things move slowly, and you may find yourselves entering a different time zone entirely. :>)

7. Re: Coming from East Glacier en route to Kalispell

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park