We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seward to Denail

Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Seward to Denail

In June 2010, I and my family will be traveling (rental car) to Denali after a three day stay in Seward. We want to take our time and stop a few places so we are planning on taking two days to make it to Denali. I am looking for suggestions on where to break up the trip for an overnight stay. I don't want to stop in Anchorage as we will be going there after Denali. I was looking at Talkeetna since I have read some good things about the town and the jetboat tour looked fun but I have some time to plan and thought maybe someone had another recommendation. We are a family of four with two children who will be 9 and 11. We won't have camping gear but are open to cabins and B&Bs if they can sleep 4. And since we will have a rental we need to stick to paved roads this trip. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seward to Denail

Welcome to the forum.

What a relief to see someone not trying to get from Seward to Denali all in one day!!

When you say you are planning on taking two days to make it to Denali, do you mean two days and one night? Or do you mean two nights? Two nights in the same place in many of the places between Anchorage and Denali can be a lot since there is not tons to do/see for two nights unless you hike.

In either case, Talkeetna is a nice place but if you are considering a two-night stay, Trapper Creek might be even better. Last March I stayed at Alaska's Northland Inn in Trapper Creek in a two-story apartment. It was off-season so the rates were lower, but it has a kitchenette and is only 3/4 mile off the Parks Highway. Even for a one-night stay it is very nice. There are two apartments in the same building. I think the one on the right as you walk in is slightly larger.

If you like hiking, Byers Lake has some nice hiking near and around the lake. There is also a cabin there you can drive to, but you would need sleeping bags at least since they only provide hard wooden bunks.

John

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seward to Denail

Talkeetna is right on the river, a fun river to explore along with great views of the mountain when it is out. The town itself is fun too. I always enjoy driving the streets looking at all the old cabins. I have also enjoyed the museum and the forest service office which has great info about the climbers that climb Denali.

There are lots of little shops, ice cream, a great roadhouse for breakfast, lots of B&Bs. The roadhouse has bunk rooms that we have stayed in which were great fun for a unique experience.

Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seward to Denail

Thank you fti and denalicat for your quick replies and the welcome. It sounds like we definitely need to make Talkeetna a stop. I haven't looked into Trapper Creek but I will. The hiking and location sounds like something we would enjoy.

FTI to answer your question we will be traveling two days and one night before arriving at Denali. We have heard so much about the scenery just from the road that we wanted to be able to stop and enjoy the view and thought the extra day would give us some time to do that.

Will probably be asking for more advice as I am planning so hopefully I will hear from you both again.

Thanks!

4. Re: Seward to Denail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2010, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...