We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of days in Acadia National Park?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of days in Acadia National Park?

Is it possible to just "pass through" Acadia National Park? We are going to be flying home out of Bangor in early July after spending time in Quebec and thought it would be fun to spend a couple of days in exploring Acadia. If so, any recommendations on a hotel or motel?

Edited: 04 March 2012, 21:08
South Portland...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of days in Acadia National Park?

You can do Acadia in two days. One of the best ways to see it is to rent bikes and ride around the carriage trails in the park. That could be an all day activity. Hanging out in Bar Harbor would be a day all by itself. However, you should keep in mind that ANP is the second or third busiest park in the National Park system. It's very small and attracts millions of visitors annually, many of them in the summer months. I can recommend that if you have transportation, hotels/ motels/ B&B in Ellsworth or up the road in Harrington/ Gouldsboro/ Cherryfield will be much less crowded and you will have a chance of getting a room. Otherwise, do your research now and reserve now.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,716 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of days in Acadia National Park?

If you're coming into Maine from Quebec, the suggestion about staying in Harrington/Gouldsboro/Cherryfield isn't really all that practical -- unless you happen to be coming into Maine from Quebec by way of New Brunswick (not your shortest or most direct route).

On a multiple-day visit to Acadia, staying in one of those outlying towns would add forty-five minutes to an hour each way to your drives to and from Acadia.....and put you in the midst of other Ellsworth-to-Bar-Harbor traffic. By planning this far ahead, you should be able to find lodging in Bar Harbor or another Mount Desert Island community (Southwest Harbor, Bass Harbor, Northeast Harbor, all easier drives to Bar Harbor/Acadia than off-island locations.

To get the most (for you) out of your limited time in Acadia, I'd suggest you make your first stop the National Park Visitors Center -- the staff there can help you plan your visit in a way that matches your interest to the most efficient use of your time and let you see the most of Park scenery and activities that appeal to you most....

I don't have specific overnight recommendations -- we do Acadia as a day-trip -- but there are a couple of frequent posters from that area on this forum who may be able to help....

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of days in Acadia National Park?

Yes, the summer months are more crowded but it is not impossible to get a room in advance - I'd even say up to a month in advance. You do not need to stay 45 minutes away!

If I were coming for one day, I would drive the Park Loop Road, the 27 mile scenic drive. There are several nice walks or moderate hikes right off the Loop Road that you could enjoy. You could spend an entire day and just be on the Loop Road. Have lunch at Jordan Pond House - reservations can be made to avoid waiting for a table. The walk around Jordan Pond is also very beautiful.

Biking or walking the carriage roads is also very enjoyable, but I wouldn't miss the Loop Road. You could also drive to the other side of the island to Bass Harbor to visit the lighthouse (a 30 minute drive from Bar Harbor) and there are some great walks and hikes down there and fun little places for lunch right on the water.

You can see and do everything in a day or day in a half but you can have a great time that will leave you wanting to come back!

For B&B's, check out www.sleepbarharbor.com or you can view all types of lodging at the Chamber website at www.barharborinfo.com. There are also several lodging choices in Southwest Harbor and Bass Harbor which are two of the other villages here on Mt. Desert Island where Acadia National Park is located.

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of days in Acadia National Park?

As a quick follow-up to lbh's post, www.AcadiaChamber.com is the website for lodging in Southwest Harbor and Bass Harbor.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of days in Acadia National Park?

Thanks to all who have replied. Your information is very helpful.

6. Re: A couple of days in Acadia National Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:16