We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acadia National Park Cruise Ships

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Acadia National Park Cruise Ships

We will be in Acadia from october 7-9. Something I have noticed is that there are cruise ships scheduled to dock in Bar Harbor everyday we are there. Will it be extra crowded once they dock? Also, I would like to phtograph sunrise on top of Cadillac mountain one of the morning. Will cruise ships be in the be in a picture taken towards the sunrise. When we are there, the sun rises around 6:40, and cruise ships are scheduled to dock at 7:00AM.

Thank you, and if you have any information please leave a comment.

6 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acadia National Park Cruise Ships

First of all, the cruise ships don't dock. There is no dock. They anchor in the bay. It's possible you might get a cruise ship in your sunrise picture. But I'm pretty sure you can get an angle where it won't show.

There will be buses from the cruise ships around 9 a.m until 11. But they don't add too much to the congestion in the Park. There will be extra foot traffic in Bar Harbor from cruisers between 9 and 4. But they don't take up parking spots or dinner reservations. Very few of them bike or hike or kayak.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acadia National Park Cruise Ships

Our Royal Caribbean ship will be there Tues. Oct 3rd and the following week, Tues the 10th with a new group. Many people head right out on the buses at 9 am to see the park. We've been before, a number of times, and sign up for the afternoon bus when the crowds return to town.

I've heard this week that ships from the Caribbean repositioned to Bar Harbor, but don't know how many or if that will only be this week.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acadia National Park Cruise Ships

Three cruise ships cancelled this week because of hurricane Jose. I don't know what it looks like on open ocean. But the ship that cancelled yesterday missed a beautiful day here in Acadia. The humidity that Jose brought has already broken and we have crisp, clear air with no rain or wind. The surf is up a bit which just adds some excitement to the rocky shore. I imagine there are rip tides also. But few swim at what small sand beaches that we have. Experienced surfers have been seen at Sand Beach.

I haven't heard of any ships repositioning to Bar Harbor. I did see on a map one that sailed right on past and headed for Nova Scotia this past Wednesday. Next up is Hurricane Maria. But no one seems to know where she's going and how she will be steered by the remnants of Jose.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acadia National Park Cruise Ships

RE: Sunrise photography. The sun will rise over, or just beyond Schoodic Point---across Frenchman Bay from Cadillac. Most cruise ships will move past and go closer to their anchorages near Bar Harbor. You may see one gliding past, but it won't show in anything except a super wide-frame shot.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acadia National Park Cruise Ships

Keep that crisp air around! Bar Harbor is big reason for our cruise, so hope they don't have to cancel for bad weather!

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
945 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acadia National Park Cruise Ships

Something to consider. If sunrise is at 6:40, your best sunrise color generally occurs between civil and nautical twilight which is between 30 and 60 minutes before actual sunrise. I would be set up ready to shoot around 5:40 (until 6:10) which should beat any of the cruise ships coming in. Just a thought.

Reply to: Acadia National Park Cruise Ships
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted