We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Nai Yang my unicorn?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Is Nai Yang my unicorn?

I’ve got 3-4 nights in Phuket and my objectives are snorkeling and kayak or canoeing, authentic Thai food (street food if possible) and a nice beach. Bonus points for beach yoga and a swimming or snorkeling beach. I know it’s almost impossible to find all these things together.

Does Nai Yang give me good access to Ao Po pier for the John Gray Hong by Night tour, and also close to launch point for snorkeling tours? I’m interested in the tour to Surin Island but open to suggestions. I’m a single traveler and early riser not interested in nightlife, but I’d like to walk to restaurant and markets. Are there good beaches in the area with possible off shore snorkeling?

I was looking originally at Mao Khao but it seems isolated, and if I wanted to spend a few hours in Phuket Town Nai Yang seems closer?

Many thanks in advance for input and advice!

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
264 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Nai Yang my unicorn?

There is some good snorkeling off Ao Sane beach which is near Nai Harn.

You'll find plenty of authentic Thai food in Phuket town. A personal favorite of mine though is Kalim Ray Lay, on Kalim beach near Patong. It's no frills in bamboo huts but the food is good and it's also a good spot to watch the sunset.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
5,848 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Nai Yang my unicorn?

OP.......you might want to actually spend some time.....looking at a map. Close and far, well, they're a bit relative in meaning to different people.

...... MAP ....

Nai Yang...Mao Khao

Phuket Town .... Ao Po pier

....... Google .....

Washington DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Nai Yang my unicorn?

Thank you Wellread99 - I’m considering spending one night near to Phuket Town to enjoy the food.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Nai Yang my unicorn?

Thanks for mentioning google, is that a web browser?

I’ve looked at plenty of maps but maps don’t tell you about road conditions, traffic, other factors. I can see on the map it says about 30 min to Ao Po from Nai Yang but would love advice from people who have been there and are willing to give it. Thanks!

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Nai Yang my unicorn?

u dont need go to Phuket town for good food, any beach has local restaurants that serve good,original thai food...Mao Khao is a long way from anywhere

Try google maps or Maps.me

Edited: 18 December 2017, 11:01
haywards heath
Level Contributor
42 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Nai Yang my unicorn?

Nai Yang isn't great for kite surfing and you can book snorkelling tours and island trips from there. We travelled to the pier for a trip round the pi pi islands with snorkelling and it was about thirty minutes drive. The slate hotel in Nai Yang also has a dive centre if that interests you. Lots of small local restaurants at Nai Yang but quite quiet and not too much street food.

Reply to: Is Nai Yang my unicorn?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nai Yang
Recent Conversations