We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

I will have 1 free day in the Johannesburg area (sleeping at the airport) and wanted to see some of the craft markets. There are some in Rosebank, Bryanston, Clearwater, Randburg etc. What is the best way to get around?

Should I "rent" a taxi for the day to take me to these places, is there some sort of tour service I should use, or is it easy to grab a taxi at the craft markets to take me to the next one when I need it, or do I have to call for one?

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Bryanston
Bryanston
Sandton, South Africa
Randburg
Randburg
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
89 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

In Rosebank - only the African Market is a permananent fixture - the Craft Market section only takes place on a Sunday. Randburg - if you are talking about the one at Brightwater commons - this is a flea market not a craft market (but has a small African crafts section). I am not familiar with the ones in Bryanston or Clearwater. There is also a lovely craft market at Irene on the 2nd and last Saturday of each month. So what day of the week is your free day and what exactly are you wanting to see - homecrafts or African crafts? If its African Crafts, it might be worthwhile to take a trip out to Hartbeespoort Dam where there are several large African Craft Markets.

Mentioned in this post
Randburg
Randburg
Bryanston
Bryanston
Sandton, South Africa
Hartbeespoort Dam
Hartbeespoort Dam
178 Reviews
Hartbeespoort, South Africa
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

That sounds good but... how should I get to Harbeespoort? Taxi?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

You can also gomto Sandton by Gautain and do the tour of the city!

citysightseeing.co.za/joburg.htmltimetable.p…

Mentioned in this post
Sandton
Sandton
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
89 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

hartbeespoortinfo.co.za/harties-transfers-an…

touringsouthafrica.co.za/day-tours-pretoria.…

catztours.com/category/…

kannstours.co.za/Trips%20around%20Gauteng.htm

http://www.touraco.co.za/daytours.htm

www.toursbylocals.com/find_tour&area=220

Elephant Sanctuary,Monkey Sanctuary,De Wildt Cheetah Centre - are all just after the dam from Joburg. Lesedi Village is just before the dam from Joburg.

The websites above are of tour companies that offer tours to the area. My feeling is that it would be cheaper to get a day tour than a taxi.

If your time does not allow the trip to Hartbeespoort then I suggest you look at taking a taxi to www.cambanos.com for African Crafts.

Mentioned in this post
Hartbeespoort
Hartbeespoort
Madibeng, South Africa
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
6,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

Rosebank has an African craft market that is open 7 days a week.

There is also a rooftop market in Rosebank, only on Sundays.

rosebank is easliy eccessible from the airport, by Gautrain.

The Market in Bryanston is not really a craft market, rather and organic food market, and does not function every day.

I know nothing about a craft market in Randburg or at Clearwater, which is a large shopping mall, 55 km by road from the airport . You would need to take a taxi.

I would agree with the above suggestion to go to Cambanos.

Cambanos is in Midrand. You would need to take a taxi. It is about 32 Km from the airport, and they have a great variety of good quality curios, at very competetive prices.

Have a look at their website:

cambanos.com/african-art-and-african-curios-…

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Gautrain
Gautrain
5,063 Reviews
Johannesburg, South Africa
Bryanston
Bryanston
Sandton, South Africa
Randburg
Randburg
Midrand
Midrand
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

That sounds great, thanks for the information. If I take a taxi to Midrand, do I have to call for another one, or are there a lot in the area? I was reading that Jhb does not have taxis everywhere as other big cities have, or was I misinformed?

Mentioned in this post
Midrand
Midrand
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
89 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

Yes you are correct - taxis do not really cruise around like in some other big cities. However at most points where there will be tourists, you will find a few taxis waiting. And if not, Cambanos will certainly call one for you.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

My suggestion is the Rosebank Craft Market, and you can take the Gautrain there from the airport. The area is well stocked with crafts where you can bargain with the stall holders. If you spend the morning there, there are places to have lunch. Then i suggest take a taxi, of which they are parked right outside the market and go to ArtsAfrica in Parkhurst, which is just about 1o to 15 minutes in the taxi. It is a recent find of mine, and all the goods there are made by local communities who benefit from your purchases. They have an amazing selection of goods from beadwork, cloth, artwork, small little gifts and really lovely crafts, better quality in general than the Rosebank market. That is my suggestion.. my clients have been extremely happy with both these places for shopping.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Mentioned in this post
Gautrain
Gautrain
5,063 Reviews
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

You can also take the Gautrain to Midrand and then get onto the Gautrain bus service which stops right at Cambanos. So if you have enough time you can get to both Rosebank and Midrand using the Gautrain.

Mentioned in this post
Gautrain
Gautrain
5,063 Reviews
Midrand
Midrand
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
6,262 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

That's right, it slipped my mind that the Gautrain stops in Midrand.

Silly me!

I have found that my clients, those who have been to both the Rosebank Craft MArket, and Cambanos seem to prefer Cambanos.

The standard of their goods is of a higher quality than in Rosebank, and the prices are very competetive.

I have no connection to Cambanos at all!

BTW, The Chameleon Village at Hartbeespoort is over 115Km from the airport, so travelling time will seriously cut into the available time.

It might be worth considering booking with one of the tour companies, and doing a private tour, to Chameleon village, and some of the other attractions in the area, including taking the cableway to the top of the Magaliesberg, the view is stunning!

Edited: 11 February 2013, 08:22
Mentioned in this post
Gautrain
Gautrain
5,063 Reviews
Midrand
Midrand
Chameleon Village
Chameleon Village
159 Reviews