We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

I will have 1 free day in the Johannesburg area (sleeping at the airport) and wanted to see some of the craft markets. There are some in Rosebank, Bryanston, Clearwater, Randburg etc. What is the best way to get around?

Should I "rent" a taxi for the day to take me to these places, is there some sort of tour service I should use, or is it easy to grab a taxi at the craft markets to take me to the next one when I need it, or do I have to call for one?

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
89 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

In Rosebank - only the African Market is a permananent fixture - the Craft Market section only takes place on a Sunday. Randburg - if you are talking about the one at Brightwater commons - this is a flea market not a craft market (but has a small African crafts section). I am not familiar with the ones in Bryanston or Clearwater. There is also a lovely craft market at Irene on the 2nd and last Saturday of each month. So what day of the week is your free day and what exactly are you wanting to see - homecrafts or African crafts? If its African Crafts, it might be worthwhile to take a trip out to Hartbeespoort Dam where there are several large African Craft Markets.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

That sounds good but... how should I get to Harbeespoort? Taxi?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

You can also gomto Sandton by Gautain and do the tour of the city!

citysightseeing.co.za/joburg.htmltimetable.p…

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
89 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

hartbeespoortinfo.co.za/harties-transfers-an…

touringsouthafrica.co.za/day-tours-pretoria.…

catztours.com/category/…

kannstours.co.za/Trips%20around%20Gauteng.htm

http://www.touraco.co.za/daytours.htm

www.toursbylocals.com/find_tour&area=220

Elephant Sanctuary,Monkey Sanctuary,De Wildt Cheetah Centre - are all just after the dam from Joburg. Lesedi Village is just before the dam from Joburg.

The websites above are of tour companies that offer tours to the area. My feeling is that it would be cheaper to get a day tour than a taxi.

If your time does not allow the trip to Hartbeespoort then I suggest you look at taking a taxi to www.cambanos.com for African Crafts.

5. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 16:03
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

That sounds great, thanks for the information. If I take a taxi to Midrand, do I have to call for another one, or are there a lot in the area? I was reading that Jhb does not have taxis everywhere as other big cities have, or was I misinformed?

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
89 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

Yes you are correct - taxis do not really cruise around like in some other big cities. However at most points where there will be tourists, you will find a few taxis waiting. And if not, Cambanos will certainly call one for you.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
977 posts
39 reviews
8. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

My suggestion is the Rosebank Craft Market, and you can take the Gautrain there from the airport. The area is well stocked with crafts where you can bargain with the stall holders. If you spend the morning there, there are places to have lunch. Then i suggest take a taxi, of which they are parked right outside the market and go to ArtsAfrica in Parkhurst, which is just about 1o to 15 minutes in the taxi. It is a recent find of mine, and all the goods there are made by local communities who benefit from your purchases. They have an amazing selection of goods from beadwork, cloth, artwork, small little gifts and really lovely crafts, better quality in general than the Rosebank market. That is my suggestion.. my clients have been extremely happy with both these places for shopping.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

You can also take the Gautrain to Midrand and then get onto the Gautrain bus service which stops right at Cambanos. So if you have enough time you can get to both Rosebank and Midrand using the Gautrain.

10. Re: How to get around in Johannesburg for 1 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2018, 16:03
Edited: 17 September 2018, 16:03
Get answers to your questions about Greater Johannesburg