We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre Paid Cards

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
615 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Pre Paid Cards

Hi,

I have a Caxton FX card my question is I can load this up with a better rate than buying Euros here but if I just use my Debit card over there do I get the bank rate?

Bill

8 replies to this topic
Haslingden, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre Paid Cards

You get Caxtons rate at the time you buy the Euros, you are effectively pre buying. If its good before you go fill your boots. Plenty of ATMs to withdraw, but always select local currency.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,400 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre Paid Cards

My Caxton has some euros loaded at 1.40 to the pound !!

been there for some time !!

Greenock,Scotland
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre Paid Cards

Don't use non bank atm machines they overcharge you when using the bank always select euros to pay in as you will get the atm bank rate and not your bank rate

Best card is Halifax clarity no charges, bank rate, but pay off each month or you get stung with interest

Greenock,Scotland
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre Paid Cards

Don't use non bank atm machines they overcharge you when using the bank always select euros to pay in as you will get the atm bank rate and not your bank rate

Best card is Halifax clarity no charges, bank rate, but pay off each month or you get stung with interest

The atm opposite aqua is a no no 10 per cent charges.. Not good

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre Paid Cards

The advantage of a prepaid card is you can load it when the rate is good. Just check it daily and choose what you think is a good rate.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre Paid Cards

Hi

I put 700 euros on last week and got it at just 1.12 been to Thomas Cooks today to get some to pay the transfer and it is just over 1,09

Bill

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
649 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre Paid Cards

Not a bad deal then.

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre Paid Cards

Unfortunately the market rate has fallen everywhere this week, something to do with a bunch of twits in Westminster!

Reply to: Pre Paid Cards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Olhos de Agua
Recent Conversations