We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difficulty of Masca gorge walk

Stockport
Level Contributor
45 posts
Difficulty of Masca gorge walk

Hi there. Travel to Costa Adeje in 2 weeks. Would like to walk down from Masca village through Masca gorge to the beach with my 13 year old son. Was going to bus to los Gigantes, taxi up to Masca village, walk down to beach and I have found a site to book shuttle boat back to los gigantes. Could you tell me are routes down well signposted (ie is it easy to get lost) and if I am being too ambitious doing it on my own with my son? Many thanks Chris

6 replies to this topic
Tenerife, Spain
Destination Expert
for Tenerife, Los Cristianos
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Difficulty of Masca gorge walk

This is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question. I have walked the Masca Barranco down and up on the same day and didn't think it was anything particularly difficult. Yes, there were some slightly tricky sections where it was necessary to concentrate on your footing but overall, it was nothing exceptional.

Having said that, I have expressed this opinion elsewhere and received a tirade of negative comments from people that say it was the most difficult walk they have ever done.

This may be true for people that don't walk very much but for others, such as myself, who are used to walking and camping for days in remote, technical and mountainous areas, it was not a big deal.

Only you can decide. If you can descend for around three hours over fairly tricky terrain then you will have no real problems.

If you are only used to walking on fairly level paths with no technical terrain, then you may find it taxing.

Stockport
Level Contributor
45 posts
2. Re: Difficulty of Masca gorge walk

Many thanks for your reply. Any information is very useful. Just need to make my mind up!

Chris

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Difficulty of Masca gorge walk

We did the hike last year going up from the beach. If you are in normal/good shape and sure footed the hike isn't a problem. I would recommend going up rather than down as you don't have to stress about getting to the boat in time, it is easier to go up the sketchy bits than down, and it is easier on your knees. And the beer in Masca tastes even better if you walked there from the ocean =) Getting a taxi back to Los Gigantes from Masca shouldn't be a problem.

The trail is not signposted for most of the way, but there are 900m cliffs on each side of the ravine, so there is really no where else to go. At some points there are water canals and paths crossing the trail, and you should NOT follow these by mistake unless you want to end up on a narrow ledge high up on a cliff with fatal drops. This is a bigger issue when hiking down the ravine than up. When we went last year we saw a family with kids high up in the cliff-side who had followed one of the canals.. Video from the canals where we saw the family: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHK4pxFaBk .

There will most likely be water in the ravine so waterproof shoes are a good idea.

We really enjoyed the hike, and the scenery is unique and otherworldly, but there was a LOT of people in the ravine that day who had no business being there. Everything from overweight pensioners to families with toddlers. Irresponsible tour companies. There was a fatality on the trail last year, and that didn't surprise me one bit.

Stockport
Level Contributor
45 posts
4. Re: Difficulty of Masca gorge walk

Thanks this is really helpful

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Difficulty of Masca gorge walk

And by the way, if you go to Los Gigantes by car, don't park on the harbour unless there is no available street parking outside. We paid more for parking than for the boat to Masca Beach =)

Berlin
Level Contributor
38 posts
6. Re: Difficulty of Masca gorge walk

I'm thinking of doing the Masca gorge walk next week and wonder about the water taxi to Los Gigantes. Did I get it right that there are more or less hourly departures until 4.30pm (at least, saw another website with last departure at 5.30 pm). And is it necessary to make a reservation or can you just pay your €10 and get onboard the next available boat?

Reply to: Difficulty of Masca gorge walk
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Masca