We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Sri Lanka

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
16 helpful votes
Driving in Sri Lanka
Save

Hi,

I’m going to Sti Lanka in November and was planing to hire a car, anyone got any tips about whether it’s a good idea or just go in excursions.

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
75,904 posts
338 reviews
390 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving in Sri Lanka
Save

Extremely bad idea.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k11575531-Special_purpose_thread_top_question_on_selfdrive-Sri_Lanka.html

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Slovenia
Level Contributor
24,815 posts
61 reviews
51 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving in Sri Lanka
Save

If you have to ask then just go with a group/excursions.

Level Contributor
1,178 posts
40 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving in Sri Lanka
Save

Many countries are worse and at least your used to "the wrong side". Have you driven in third world countries before ?? If your experience is southern Europe, say Italy and Spain you will experience a very steep learning curve, if its Africa and the Midle East you will find it easy...I have seen post where people say " oh, but I have driven in Italy, so it cant be much worse", well Italy and Spain (even more so) is like Norway, SL is much closer to, say Tanzania, its your choice.

4. Re: Driving in Sri Lanka

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Koggala
Recent Conversations
More Koggala Topics
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.