We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Car from Dublin?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Train or Car from Dublin?

My husband and I are going to in Dublin for five full days in February 2010. We really want to see the Cliffs of Moher and maybe the Burren, incl. Poulnabrone. What we can't decide is if this possible by train or if we should rent a car for a couple days. I read that the trains are not expansive in Ireland but then I read that trips are quite possible. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreaciated. We love train travel and usually include at least one full day trip somewhere by train so we are very comfortable with either choice. Thank you very much! Denise

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or Car from Dublin?

Hi JD: Are you spending ONLY 5 days in Ireland with Dublin as your base?

At the very least you will need one day to see the Burren Region, Cliffs etc.

You need a car or an organized tour to see the region. Again it would be better timewise to rent a car from Dublin possibly stay in Doolin overnight. The new dual-carriage way is being extended Westwards and now goes as far as Ballinasloe which really speeds up your journey and is a doddle to drive on!

You should hit The Burren region within 4 hours of driving from Dublin. This includes a short pitstop!

You do have the option of taking a train to Galway City It takes 2.5 hrs and the earliest one leaves Dublin at 7.10am and reaches Galway at 9.55am. You could then perhaps take an organized daytrip to the Burren from the city. There are several that leave Galway City each day so you won't be stuck for tours to the Burren.

Bus eireann also do day trips to the Burren from outside the train station in Galway.

irishrail.ie/your_journey/timetables_junctio…

http://www.lallytours.com/tourbur.html

You can also do an organized railtour from Dublin which includes your train to Galway and bus tour to The Burren and this may suit you if you have very little time .It will be a whistlestop trip, though enjoyable, if you love trains :-)

www.railtoursireland.com/tours/dh06.asp

http://www.railtoursireland.com/

Train tickets can be quite expensive though not as expensive as the US. If you purchase your tickets in advance you get cheaper deals!

There may be some folks who have taken a railtours trip who may be able to offer you some feedback on here.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
548 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or Car from Dublin?

My wife and I drove this route in one day this past July. Picked up rental at the southwest Dublin Hertz location (South Circular Road as I recall), drove the N7 to Limerick, then on to Liscannor to see the Cliffs and onwards north on the R478 and beyond for a circular route around portions of the Burren. It was a long summer day for us, so I'd expect you'll need to take the next morning for one or the other sights, assuming darkness comes at 5:30 PM or thereabouts instead of 9:30 during July.

We stayed one night at Atlantic View B&B, and found it delightful and a good value (see reviews in TA).

Also suggest you research likely weather conditions in this area in February, which I'd think could be quite adverse depending on storm activity.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or Car from Dublin?

Thank you so much for your feedback, it is very helpful. I have been trying to find the Atlantic View B&B and it seems there is one on Pier Rd in Doolin and another in Liscannor. Would you mind sending me the contact information for the location where you stayed?

We have decided to take your advice and take a couple of days via car.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to provide some advice.

Thank you,

Denise

4. Re: Train or Car from Dublin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 05:18