We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
297 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Jolly Beach Mozzies.

We are returning in a few weeks to this Hotel.... it must be over 10 years we visited and we loved it. Going by the reviews, it does look like it needs an upgrade, but I am sure we will make the most of it, we loved it there.

However, I have read of so many reports about the Mozzies. I don't remember getting bitten at all out there, but I know here, they adore me and I sometimes get awful reactions to them.

Is it that bad there now and what precautions should I take that would be best. Thanks guys.

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
544 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

We've always found the local OFF (Orange can) to be very effective - It's worth popping into the supermarket or chemist to get it. We also use a natural repellent called Incognito which is very good unless there's been a lot of rain and the mozzie numbers are high!

I also react badly to bites so make sure we're off the beach or sandy areas well before the late afternoon. I start taking antihistamines a week before we go - and eating lots of marmite! It all helps to reduce the number and impact of bites...... and this year we're trying out some repellent wrist bands too.

Berkshire, UK
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

Hi,

We went back this summer after 8 years (Tranquility Bay or Jolly Beach Resort as it was then) & still loved it as much as last time! We saw them spray the area. We did get some bites but nothing that would make me not want to stay there. We took spray from home but then bought local stuff as felt it worked better. My husband did as above took antihistamines before he went & then every day while he was there. Do take anthisan or some other cream to go with the spray. My son wore no spray & didn't get bitten once!

Have a fabulous time,

KC

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

never heard of eating lots of marmite before but worth a try as I love the stuff

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
544 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

Vitamin B in the marmite is supposed to be what mozzies don't like......... I'm not really sure that it makes much difference, as I also like marmite it's no hardship!

"A study back in the 1960s indicated that taking vitamin B1 (thiamine) may be effective in discouraging mosquitoes from biting. However, studies since then have been inconclusive. The theory is, taking more vitamin B1 than your body requires causes the excess to be excreted through your urine, skin, and sweat. Vitamin B1 produces a skin odour that female mosquitoes seem to find offensive."

15. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2017, 19:17
Get answers to your questions about Bolans