We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jolly Beach Mozzies.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
298 posts
88 reviews
Jolly Beach Mozzies.

We are returning in a few weeks to this Hotel.... it must be over 10 years we visited and we loved it. Going by the reviews, it does look like it needs an upgrade, but I am sure we will make the most of it, we loved it there.

However, I have read of so many reports about the Mozzies. I don't remember getting bitten at all out there, but I know here, they adore me and I sometimes get awful reactions to them.

Is it that bad there now and what precautions should I take that would be best. Thanks guys.

England
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

I can't help you I'm afraid but the constant mention of the problem resulted in me changing our hotel for our holiday next month.

I know people here suggest that it's an overreaction / sand flies / failure to take precautions but every single review mentions it. I hope they're wrong.

I'm currently taking vitamin B1 and will add in anti histamines closer to the time. Maybe you can try that?

I hope you have a great time.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

I'll refer again to this article as TA have made it very hard to find - tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147242-c3273/Antig…

I've just been looking at plenty of very good recent reviews, as well as one from someone who's clearly had a bad experience (and a nasty reaction to some untreated bites), and one from someone who obviously had hugely unrealistic expectations from a 3 star resort.

The basic rule remains the same, especially if there have been showers, which is when you're more likely to be mozzie food - protect yourself properly and you won't be bitten. Fail to do so, and you could be.

Personally, I think JBR is excellent value for money in a fantastic location, and provided you're realistic in what you're hoping for you should be more than satisfied.

England
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

For me, the age of the hotel wasn't a problem. I've stayed in 3* accommodation in the caribbean before. I know what to expect. But it was the constant mention of being badly bitten that finally made me change my booking.

There are good reviews about the hotel but even those mention mosquitos as a problem. Reviews of other hotels don't. Have you been there recently? There seems to be a suggestion that the hotel has deteriorated.

I'm sad to have changed hotels because JBR was in a great location but I do have bad reactions to mosquito bites and the constant mention of them was just too much.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

I last walked round the property a couple of months ago (I don't generally stay at resorts), and yes, it is a little tired - but it's not pretending to be anything else, and the same can be said for Halcyon - though they do seem to be trying to get a refurbishment programme underway. The biggest difference between the two is the beach and location - Jolly has the definite edge on this one - and the room sizes, which (on standard rooms) is larger at Halcyon. The pool at Halcyon is small, but that's not a big deal for a lot of people.

Mozzie bites can happen anywhere. With the exception of those resorts with very heavy vegetation and a risk of standing water, all are pretty much equal IMO. Regardless of where you're staying, do ask for your room to be sprayed, and use plug-in vaporisers or mats. If your screens are broken, ask for them to be mended.

However, as said many times before, few bites come from mosquitos - you usually know if there's one in the room and it's worth dealing with it straight away when you hear the zing! You may want to keep a can of bop handy for quick knockdowns as well as any other precautions.

Sand flies are always the bigger problem, but again, there is plenty you can do to help. Avoid the beach and sandy areas around dawn and dusk. Keep legs (in particular) well protected or covered. Try not to bring sand back into your room - change towels, rinse feet if possible. If you do get bitten, try to treat as soon as possible, and avoid rubbing or scratching as this will just make it worse! Antihistamines do help, and a lot of people find garlic capsules very useful as well.

Don't let the worrying get out of proportion - and stop reading the reviews!

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

hi, I am also staying at Jolly Beach beginning of November & suffer bad reaction's to bites along with being a favorite mosi dish.

I have plug in's sun tan lotion with bug repellent, 100% Deet, wrist bands, antihistamine & have started to take garlic capsules. This all may well be overkill but at least i'm prepared & mosi's aren't going to get an easy time eating me.

Not sure anyone else will come near me either though :-)

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

Hi all, mossies and sandflies are bad at dusk at the moment - there's been a lot of rain recently, which kick-starts their breeding cycle. The answer is either cover up and spray up in the late afternoon, or stay indoors. They seem to ease off after dark. Jolly beach has a lot of gardens and water-retaining features where the little beasts can shelter until dusk. They respond to most sprays and sticks, just cover all bits that are exposed (such as behind your ears) and you'll be ok. The presence of chikungunya virus in the Caribbean, including Antigua, in recent years makes prevention of mosquito bites important.

Holly, if you're using 100% Deet, be careful of getting it on plastics, varnishes, some artificial fibre clothing, jewellery and dyed leather items ... the stuff is like napalm and takes the surface of a lot of things!

Good luck.

Dorchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

Can I also advise against spraying Deet on yourself indoors on hard tiled floors. I went absolutely flying crashing hard when my shoes slipped on the oily film left on the floor.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

Thank you both for your advise, I will be extremely careful wit it. I have used it before & found it does make things extremely slippery so it's a last resort as I have normal jungle spray as well

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
103 reviews
9. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

If you can find some, I've switched to using Sawyer Picaridin (20% is plenty) spray rather than DEET. Less smelly, kind to clothing and more effective IMO. It's not always easy to get in the UK, but works brilliantly.

London, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
301 reviews
10. Re: Jolly Beach Mozzies.

I didn't stay in the resort but stayed in the Jolly Beach Villas a couple of weeks back. We had an outdoor patio overlooking the marina which you would think be mossie heaven. We just sprayed ourselves with deet before leaving and we were fine. I think I may have got maybe 3-4 minor bites through out our whole trip. In fact I tend to get bitten more on the golf course in London then I did there!

Get answers to your questions about Bolans
Recent Conversations