We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sandals antigua grande resort

6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sandals antigua grande resort

We will be celebrating our 30th anniversary last week of may 2015 . We reserved beachfront honeymoon Grande luxe club level room on the caribbean side. We've never been out of the country nor have we ever had a honeymoon before. From what I've read we will miss the beach bab on Monday the 25th for that is our anniversary night & we have a couples massage and candlelit beach dinner planned. I found it very difficult to get any sea excursions for any day we will be there for everything was booked 5/23 -5/30. I want this to be very special for us and I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance we aren't making a mistake at this resort.we are in early to mid 50's don't care for a lot of partying but we could be persuaded to join in. Any advice or best tips would help a lot. Probably be another 30 before ever doing this again.

Waterford, NY
Level Contributor
656 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sandals antigua grande resort

OK, I'll hop in here since everyone else appears to be putting on their New Year's costumes...

Sadly, I passed my fifties a short while back, but my wife is still there! We've been to almost every Sandals over the past ten years or so, twice to Antigua and it is tied for our favorite along with the much smaller Royal Caribbean in MoBay.

We enjoy meeting people and have made a few lasting friendships from Sandals over the years, including a great couple we met at Antigua two years ago. You can be as active or as quiet as you want there. We stay on the Caribe side as well, club level also, because we love the instant ambiance of the gardens the second you step outside your door. The Med size is snazzy and modern, no doubt, but the Caribe side, while older, is so much more beautiful. The Caribe lobby area is a wonderful open-air place to hang out, very Caribbean in flavor.

We have sort of evolved a routine which involves spending a good bit of active/social time at the main Caribe pool, the domain of the wonderful Latoya, arguably the best and most popular bartender in the Sandals chain. When we want to just read or slow down, there are four smaller "reading" pools scattered around the Caribe side. We also spend more time in the actual ocean here than any other Sandals since the swimming area is so large and you can actually swim in it, most of it being well over your head in depth. I love to swim out the rope line and just hang on it, looking back at the island.

As far as a somewhat oddball sea excursion goes, if you walk out onto the beach from the Med side, in front of the Barefoot restaurant, and turn left (south) and walk just off the property, there is a gentleman named Captain Nash who is usually hanging around there in front of Antigua Village, I believe it's called. He owns that smallish dark blue sailboat that is moored in front of Barefoot. He will take you out on as short or long a tour as you like, and believe me, this guy can really sail. It is not a fancy boat at all, about 30 feet and a bit, but we had a great run with him last Spring. He took us up the coast around the corner by Blue Waters, and out to Jumby Bay and back. He has been around forever, apparently. We had a great time, and if you do come across him, please tell him Hi from Dave and Vicky from New York State.

Edited: 31 December 2014, 19:29
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: sandals antigua grande resort

thanks alot dave made me feel better bout our decision to go here. I think we will be very happy here and i will be sure to tell the captain youns said Hi, think we will def look him up. Thanks again.

New Orleans...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: sandals antigua grande resort

We got married in antigua 10 years ago at the Sandals Grande and just returned there this past December for our anniversary. You will LOVE this resort....we certainly do! This was the first Sandals resort we had been to when we got married and I'm glad we chose this one as our wedding venue. So, of course, I'm a bit partial since it holds a special place in my heart but I promise you won't be disappointed. You will love the employees here.

I agree with Dave's post about the resort. We too prefer the carib side and stay in the club level rooms. Again, you won't be disappointed with that decision. And like he said, you can do a much or as little as you'd like at this resort. You will love the employees there. They are all very warm hearted.

While this resort holds my heart, on this anniversary trip we also stayed the week before in St. Lucia at the Grand St. Lucian. Another FAB Sandals resort! These two are definitely my favs.

10 years ago we hired a car, the drivers name was Sylvester. He took us around the island for the day. We went up to Shirley Heights, English Harbor, downtown for shopping, etc. Basically, whatever we wanted to do. He was very knowledgable about the island and super friendly. A truly genuine person. This past December I took his card he had given me 10 years before, called him when we arrived, and he's still working as a driver. We were so excited. I had mentioned his name in reception, and they all knew who he was. Even throughout the resort. So of course, we hired him again 10 years later for the day and again, he did not disappoint. We love the views over Shirley Heights so we had to go back there, we did some shopping, and he took us all over the island. I'd definitely recommend doing this. Syl is a fantastic guy! His rates were very reasonable and compared to doing any excursion, if you're interested in seeing the island, this is the way to do it!

If you're interested in doing this, I've listed his info on his card below :)

Sylvester Hughes - Taxi and tour services

cell: 268-464-1196

sylhughes@yahoo.com

I certainly hope you enjoy your stay in Antigua whatever you decide to do. I think you will find a love for this island by the time you leave as we did! Have fun!

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: sandals antigua grande resort

Thank you Amy for taking the time to respond. I have read so much good things about this place and I am sure the little bit of negativity from the few reviewers I read was prob due to them having sky high expectations of this place..I think we have made the perfect choice from all the good I have read. Thank you so very much again.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
443 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sandals antigua grande resort

You will love Sandals Antigua. Your candlelight dinner will be better than the beach BBQ, good choice. We also stayed on the Caribbean Grove side and found it perfect for us. We want to feel like we're in the Caribbean and it's very tropical. You chose a great resort with lots of diverse options. We went on an island tour with Elmo at Luxury Safari Tours, think his website is luxurysafariantigua.com. We highly recommend, but there are also many other options you can find out about once you're there. Polite vendors will approach you on the beach to see if you're interested. Very good choice!

Btw we are also in our 50s. Made some great friends at the resort and spent a lot of time just visiting. Your trip can be whatever you want it to be.

Edited: 09 January 2015, 01:33
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: sandals antigua grande resort

thanks Doug we as well want to feel like we're on an island in the caribbean sea somewhere. The more everyone tells us of their adventures the more excited we get..we got our passports today and it's now starting to sink in that WE'RE GOIN TO ANTIGUA!!!

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: sandals antigua grande resort

We are finally leaving for Antigua next Saturday 23rd. We have a shopping excursion scheduled I was wondering should we do a currency exchange and if so canyou do it on the sandales grande atigua resort...how much cah should ya take if everything is all inclusive?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sandals antigua grande resort

Don't worry about exchanging money Mary - everyone will be more than happy to take your US$ or just about any debit or credit card.

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: sandals antigua grande resort

haha. thank you

10. Re: sandals antigua grande resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 16:05
Get answers to your questions about Bolans