We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Sicily, May 2014

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
843 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in Sicily, May 2014

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Europe for May/ June 2014.

I have set aside 8 days to see Sicily. I understand from reading a mountain of posts, that this is only enough time to see a little. I have chosen to see the east coast. My plan is to fly into Catania from Naples. Alitali would have us arriving around 4pm(16.00) I would like to organise a private transfer to our accommodation.

Can you recommend anyone in particular?

I am thinking of staying in Taormina, preferably in an apartment, we like the space and the amenities, for 4 days and possibly Siracusa for 4 days?

My questions are, in what order should we see these towns?

Is the breakup of days right, or should I spend more time in one particular town for sightseeing?

Can you recommend any particular accommodation? The apartment I liked in Taormina appears to be fully booked already? Our budget is around 200/250E per night

We plan to fly from Catania to Bari.

I have researched flights. If we fly Blu Express it appears to be more direct and convenient. Does anyone have any knowledge of the reliability of this airline?

Am I best to fly Alitlia via Rome, this flight will take 3hrs 30 mins for safety and reliability?

I look forward to any help that comes my way and thank you in advance.

Cheers

2 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Sicily, May 2014

Welcome to Sicily gomozzie!

May and June are lovely months to visit Sicily!

But yes, Sicily is a 2-week itinerary, so 8 days is insufficient time to see Eastern and Western Sicily.

Alitalia or Air Italy (Meridiana) fly from Naples to Catania. If you were to book via Alitalia, book on the Italian site for lower fares.

Save Money By Booking Alitalia Flights “Like a Local”:

roninrome.com/transportation/booking-alitali…

Contact Christian at New Travel Service for reliable and reasonably priced transfer services.

http://www.newtravelservices.net/

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g580233-d1…

There's more to see and do in Siracusa than Taormina, and then perhaps you would take a day trip from Siracusa to Noto or Ragusa. You could divide your time between Taormina and Siracusa, or you could spend an extra night in Siracusa.

You might also consider Villa Costanza Bellavista in Taormina, and then Casesicilia in Siracusa.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187892-d149008…

http://www.casesicilia.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187891-d104522…

Book directly via the accommodation and not an online booking service. It's early for next season's bookings, but still possible.

There's no difference if you were to begin in either town, but since there's more to do in Siracusa, and since you're arriving fairly late on your first day, begin in Taormina and end in Siracusa.

blu-express hasn't been very reliable, and so perhaps book a connecting flight onward from Catania to Bari. Low-cost airlines change routes all the time, so by next year, there might be another carrier offering this route as well. You have time before booking this flight, so continue to watch.

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in Sicily, May 2014

Continued here - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k6774…

Vagabonda

Reply to: 8 days in Sicily, May 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mazzaro
Recent Conversations