We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osaka to Koyasan

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
Osaka to Koyasan

We're going to be staying at Jokiin in Koyasan at the very end of March, and we didn't realize that the train was out before our booking, so I'm trying to nail down all the steps to get there so we're prepared.

We're going to have JR passes, but I dont think its going to help us much besides a quick ride from Osaka Station to Shin-Imamiya Station.

Then it looks like we take the Nankai-Koya Line to Hashimoto Station. From Hashimoto we have to grab the bus, which I can't quite tell where it goes but it seems like Koyasan Station? This page mentions Daimon minami chushajo, where you get on another bus to Kongobuji-mae, which just happens to be across the street from our place, Jokiin.

howto-osaka.com/global/pdf/notice/180110/fur…

So our bus ticket at Hashimoto station will bring us all the way to the destination right?

We're only going to be in Koyasan for a day, so it seems like the Koyasan-World Heritage Ticket probably isn't worth it?

Is there anything we could do better or differently? Its taken me a while to figure this all out, kinda bummed we wont have the cable car on our route, but at this point I just want the trip to be as painless as possible.

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,901 posts
1. Re: Osaka to Koyasan

nankaikoya.jp/en/…for_passengers_201801.pdf

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,388 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Osaka to Koyasan

Consider skipping Koyasan altogether this time. It's just too time consuming to get there and back for one night stay. If you're interested in staying overnight in a temple, you can do that in Kyoto. There are tons of other places that are worthwhile near Osaka/Kyoto.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
122 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Osaka to Koyasan

Thanks yeah thats definitely a possibility that I'll need to bring up with the rest of my group. It crossed my mind as soon as I heard about the train being out.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,501 posts
459 reviews
4. Re: Osaka to Koyasan

My two cents ... I wouldn't rule it out. In fact, going on Feb 25. Yes it is more problematic to go to but honestly after all the years I lived in Japan and the many trips back since, experiencing Okuin and staying in a temple there, has been one of the best experiences we've had in Japan. The cable car is an experience and was a great part of the journey but it pales in comparison to the temples, the temple stay and the cemetery, both at night and during the day.

Reply to: Osaka to Koyasan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted