We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which temple is less touristy?

kle
Boston
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
which temple is less touristy?

We are a family of 4 (kids 7 and 13) and are looking for a peaceful 1 night temple stay. Kids are very well behaved. I have shortlisted Eko-in, Fudo-in, and Joki-in. They all get great reviews and Eko-in is least expensive, but is it too touristy compared to the other two? I know that we're tourists too, but I would like a more quiet experience (and a garden view) if possible. Eko-in also has more varied (so-so) reviews.

Also, I may have to get some food from outside the temple to supplement dinner and breakfast for the kids (not sure how they'll do with the vegetarian cuisine that I love). Is there places in town to get some dumplings or onigiri?

2 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: which temple is less touristy?

Hi kle, Id it's not too late, I'd recommend Kongo Sanmai-in. You can book directly on their site (jpn) or on booking .com.

They have a wonderful garden, and is located a little walk of the main street; so it is very peaceful and feels removed, but is still close enough to be reached by foot, even with kids.

There is also a convenience store located just 2 or 3 minutes from the temple.

Hope this helps!

Level Contributor
124 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which temple is less touristy?

I think it is too late, but just want to update for future travelers, we stayed at Jokiin and it was not touristy.

Mentioned in this post
Jokiin
Jokiin
34 Reviews
Koya-cho, Japan
Reply to: which temple is less touristy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Koya-cho
More Koya-cho Topics