We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which temple is less touristy?

kle
Boston
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
7 reviews
which temple is less touristy?

We are a family of 4 (kids 7 and 13) and are looking for a peaceful 1 night temple stay. Kids are very well behaved. I have shortlisted Eko-in, Fudo-in, and Joki-in. They all get great reviews and Eko-in is least expensive, but is it too touristy compared to the other two? I know that we're tourists too, but I would like a more quiet experience (and a garden view) if possible. Eko-in also has more varied (so-so) reviews.

Also, I may have to get some food from outside the temple to supplement dinner and breakfast for the kids (not sure how they'll do with the vegetarian cuisine that I love). Is there places in town to get some dumplings or onigiri?

2 replies to this topic
1 post
1. Re: which temple is less touristy?

Hi kle, Id it's not too late, I'd recommend Kongo Sanmai-in. You can book directly on their site (jpn) or on booking .com.

They have a wonderful garden, and is located a little walk of the main street; so it is very peaceful and feels removed, but is still close enough to be reached by foot, even with kids.

There is also a convenience store located just 2 or 3 minutes from the temple.

Hope this helps!

Level Contributor
131 posts
137 reviews
2. Re: which temple is less touristy?

I think it is too late, but just want to update for future travelers, we stayed at Jokiin and it was not touristy.

Reply to: which temple is less touristy?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted