We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koyasan Choishi Michi trail access after Typhoon? (Nov 2017)

5 posts
Koyasan Choishi Michi trail access after Typhoon? (Nov 2017)

As noted in previous posts, due to Typhoon damage in Oct 2017, the train that typically goes to Koyasan (and Kudoyama to start the Koyasan Choishi Michi trail) is damaged and goes no further than Hashimoto, where you have to get on a bus for the remainder of the trip to Koyasan. Has anyone recently (since Nov. 2017) attempted to hike the trail? How did you get to the trail head from Hashimoto and is there typhoon damage to the trail that has closed it down as well?

Thank you.

4 replies to this topic
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
81 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Koyasan Choishi Michi trail access after Typhoon? (Nov 2017)

I am hoping to do this trail in late March--were you able to figure out how to get to the trailhead? I haven't seen, any updated information in my research so far. Thanks!

Edited: 02 February 2018, 13:41
5 posts
2. Re: Koyasan Choishi Michi trail access after Typhoon? (Nov 2017)

Hi there - we did figure out a way when we did this in November. You can still get to the Kudoyama Station to do the trek to Koyasan via the Choishi-Michi trail. You will need to take a train from Osaka to Hachimoto (where the buses are stationed to take people the rest of the way to Koyasan), but instead of getting on the buses , you will instead switch trains for one headed further south toward Kudoyama. From that point on, everything remains the same as what you likely read online - you'll hike 1.7 KM or so through town to the Jison-In Temple, to start the hike. It is a lovely hike - took us just under 7 hours to complete.

Enjoy!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
81 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Koyasan Choishi Michi trail access after Typhoon? (Nov 2017)

Thank you so much--I'm glad you figured out a way to do it and enjoyed it! A couple questions for you, I hope you don't mind!

-Did you store your luggage somewhere in Osaka or Hashimoto?

-How many nights would you recommend in Koyasan?

Thank you, again.

5 posts
4. Re: Koyasan Choishi Michi trail access after Typhoon? (Nov 2017)

No problem at all! We did two nights at Koyasan and that felt like the right amount of time. For our luggage, we forward shipped our suitcases from our Osaka hotel to our next hotel we were staying at after Koyasan and just packed our backpacks for the hike plus two nights in Koyasan. Then, we took the buses/trains back from Koyasan, with the rest of the people returning.

Reply to: Koyasan Choishi Michi trail access after Typhoon? (Nov 2017)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted