We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay in, near town centre or Okunoin?

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay in, near town centre or Okunoin?

Dear fellow travellers,

I plan to visit Koyasan in November with my husband and our 19mo baby. Right now, I'm in a dilemma where I should book my lodgings.

I'm keen to stay near Okunoin because we would like to do the night tour by Ekoin and we understand that many shukubos have curfews at night. Currently, only Sekishoin has vacancies but their reviews aren't great. A plus point is that they are really near the bus stop.

On the other hand, I can book a room at Jokiin which is really near Kongobu-ji and the town centre. This place has great reviews but I'm not sure about walking back in the dark/cold and making it in time for the curfew?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! :)

Mentioned in this post
Sekishoin
Sekishoin
113 Reviews
Koya-cho, Japan
Jokiin
Jokiin
31 Reviews
Koya-cho, Japan
5 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
33 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay in, near town centre or Okunoin?

I'm not sure whether the busses even run that late, so you may be walking back. If you don't mind about a 45-minute walk, you should be fine. It's a perfectly pleasant and safe walk, assuming you aren't followed by any ghosts.

It looks like the tour ends at 8:35pm (http://www.night.koyasan-okunoin.com/) and Jokiin's curfew is 10:00pm (https:/…), so that should give you enough time.

The town is small enough that it probably doesn't matter where you stay -- everything's within about a 10 minute walk. Also, I assume other people will be heading back to Ekoin, so you can probably just follow them, and then walk to wherever you're staying.

Edited: 03 October 2017, 00:17
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
845 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay in, near town centre or Okunoin?

I've been on this night tour. Once the tour ends (at 8:35pm) you walk back at your own pace through Okunoin and on to wherever you're staying. It doesn't take long to walk to the centre of town, so you'll easily make a 10pm curfew.

Also, we did the tour in late November last year and it was *cold* at night, so dress well for the weather. :)

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay in, near town centre or Okunoin?

Dear Jacob and MumPlusOne2012, thank you for your replies! I guess I'll be going with Jokiin and a couple of winter jackets :D

Mentioned in this post
Jokiin
Jokiin
31 Reviews
Koya-cho, Japan
kle
Boston
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay in, near town centre or Okunoin?

Tinglebelle--How as Joi-in? We are considering a stay there for July 2018 with two children (12 and 7).

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay in, near town centre or Okunoin?

Hi Kle, Joki-in was a nice place to stay in. Pretty central area where you can walk to either end. Rooms are comfortable and clean. We got the superior family room which was spacious and came with its own toilet. Please note that like most temple lodgings, you'll have to share a bathroom with everyone else. Have a wonderful trip!

Reply to: Which area to stay in, near town centre or Okunoin?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Koya-cho
More Koya-cho Topics