We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't go to Marbella

Huntington Beach...
2 posts
1 review
Don't go to Marbella
Save

We drove down to Marbella in our rental car to go surfing. The surf was fun - that was the good part. The bad part was that our car was broken into with $200 stolen. The thieves were professional - we did not even know we were hit until later. AND, on the way back a 4x4 truck side swiped our side mirror. It was demolished and the driver never stopped (take that tourists!) AND, a little kid kept snaking my waves and cursing me (ok, that happens at home too but you don't expect it here....)

The general vibe there was bad. Though this is a nice, off-the-beaten-path location with Tiki Bar, I would not recommend going here. The locals want this place to themselves.

3 replies to this topic
Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Don't go to Marbella
Save

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience! But I must say I would not have left $200 in my car anywhere in Costa Rica. And while I am not a surfer, my husband is and he would tell you that any beach is going to have locals that want the place for themselves. It's the same everywhere, but that is no reason to avoid Marbella. I don't know what to say about the side swipe....that is just bad luck and shame on them for not stopping, but I'm not surprised, sadly.

Huntington Beach...
2 posts
1 review
2. Re: Don't go to Marbella
Save

Thanks for your commentary. I would say that I am suprised myself and agree localism occurs at any beach. We all commented on how many times we have had our cars broken into and stolen in Huntington Beach. However, what makes this so disappointing is that you expect this to be fun beach that you can hang out for the day, play in the water and just relax to have lunch without getting hassled. This was not the case. Another person in the parking lot commented that their cars were also broken into at Marbella. Our friend was not smart to leave $160 in the car. I chalk my $40 contribution to experience.

Yep, we were shocked by the side swipe also.....

There are plenty of beaches you can go to and avoid this experience. Playa Avellanas and Playa Grande have parking attendents. Playa Giones is a pretty friendly spot that I would not worry too much about.

We were hassled by locals at Marbella on my previous trip also. It's a great wave and beautiful location. You can take a tour there in a van with a driver that watches your stuff. Maybe they should get a parking attendant at Marbella if they want it to be a destination people want to go to. The local businesses would benefit from this.

Mine is a cautionary tale......

Tamarindo, Costa...
3 posts
3. Re: Don't go to Marbella
Save

Does anybody know if there are any public buses that go or pass by Marbella? I would like to go and visit the beach soon and I don't not wish to take a taxi. Thank you so much for your help!!

Reply to: Don't go to Marbella
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marbella
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.