We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Road conditions
Save

We would appreciate any information and/or advise regarding driving conditions between Liberia and Marbella, Costa Rica. We will be there in October, and have heard that we should rent a 4X4. Is this good advise? We are also concerned about all the negative remarks we have been reading about Liberia rental car companies. Please let us know the all the details about your experiences. Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,256 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: Road conditions
Save

Let me try to help you how to get to Marbellla

• Marbella is located 25 miles south of Tamarindo Airport and 25 miles north of Nosara Airport.

• Leaving San José International Airport follow the signs towards San Ramon. Continue towards Esparza and Liberia (Highway 1).

• Follow signs left towards Puerto Moreno, Nicoya, Santa Cruz onto highway 18 and cross the Friendship Bridge of Taiwan AKA “Puente de la Amistad”.

• Follow the signs past Nicoya and go straight through Santa Cruz, and just after a small bridge go left towards Tamarindo and 27 de Abril (you stay on this road for about 10 km).

• Next, you need to go left after the bridge when this road turns into dirt road you need to turn left continue on paved road, this is before this dirt road.(signs will say 27 de Abril, Paraíso).

•Continue 1 km then you turn right • Stay straight towards Paraíso, Junquillal and Playa Negra.

• Just before reaching Paraíso, after passing Rio Seco . This is now a dirt road.

• Follow (signs will say Lagarto, Marbella and Ostional).

•1km you need to turn right, do not continue to Florida.

• Head south for 15 km to Lagarto fishing village.

• Passing Lagarto (7km) you will find Marbella Town (Secret Jewel of the Pacific).

Better druirng wet season to have a 4x4...

Thank you this is an old copy paste...

roadadvisor

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
2. Re: Road conditions
Save

Thank you for your quick response. The dirt roads are sort of worrying me. Should I be as worried as I am?

Edited: 7 years ago
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,256 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
3. Re: Road conditions
Save

Honestly...IMO...you do not have to worry about dirt roads in Guanacaste...you most drive slow around any dirt road...at least that is what I do...and driving slow...it will be very low chances to hit a rock or get into a hole...

roadadvsior

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
4. Re: Road conditions
Save

That relieves my mind a lot. Thank you, again.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,256 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
5. Re: Road conditions
Save

You are WELCOME...please enjoy our country as much as we natives do...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE

Roadadvisor

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
60 reviews
56 helpful votes
6. Re: Road conditions
Save

Umm, roadadvisor, those directions are from San Jose. The OP was looking for directions from Liberia.

Napa2009, you will need to ignore the part before "... Follow the signs past Nicoya and go straight through Santa Cruz, and just after a small bridge go left towards Tamarindo and 27 de Abril ". You will pick up your rental car near the Liberia airport, and these are located on the highway. Head south/southwest toward Santa Cruz on the highway.. You will need to make a right turn just BEFORE the bridge at the north end of Santa Cruz, which will be the road to 27 de Abril and Tamarindo. Then continue as directed by roadadvisor.

As for rental car issues, familiarize yourself with the many discussions on this subject in this forum and you will see which agencies to avoid. I have rented in the past from both Toyota and Budget at LIR and have had no problems, other than it is expensive to rent cars in Costa Rica. I recommend that you rent a GPS or bring your own if it is loaded with a CR map. And yes, get a 4X4.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
12,731 posts
21 reviews
46 helpful votes
7. Re: Road conditions
Save

Problem is those directions were from San Jose (SJO) to Marbella - not Liberia to Marbella. Assuming you are flying into Liberia you would head south of the Pan American and head south to reach your turnoff. If you make it as far south as Santa Cruz you overshot. You could also contact your lodging for detailed directions from Liberia.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
64,256 posts
140 reviews
45 helpful votes
8. Re: Road conditions
Save

From Liberia LIR...you can do somenthing like...

Drive from LIR to Santa Cruz, and just after a small bridge go left towards Tamarindo and 27 de Abril (you stay on this road for about 10 km).

• Next, you need to go left after the bridge when this road turns into dirt road you need to turn left continue on paved road, this is before this dirt road.(signs will say 27 de Abril, Paraíso).

•Continue 1 km then you turn right • Stay straight towards Paraíso, Junquillal and Playa Negra.

• Just before reaching Paraíso, after passing Rio Seco . This is now a dirt road.

• Follow (signs will say Lagarto, Marbella and Ostional).

•1km you need to turn right, do not continue to Florida.

• Head south for 15 km to Lagarto fishing village.

• Passing Lagarto (7km) you will find Marbella Town (Secret Jewel of the Pacific).

Or just once you leave LIR make a right and drive for about 35 minutes until you see the signs to Tamarindo then you can look for the MArbella way...that is looking for 27 de Abril...tiny villahe...from then you know the rest!

roadadvisor

Reply to: Road conditions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marbella
Recent Conversations
US$USD
Ireland
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.