We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location in Sonoma for a couple

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Best location in Sonoma for a couple

My husband and I are planning our ten year wedding anniversary this July and Sonoma county is our destination. I am looking at a variety of rentals in the county but am wondering what area is best. Jenner looks amazing near the coast and the Russian River area looks amazing. Are those areas far from wineries and likely a separate place to stay far from central locations of interest? Are we better off staying closer to Sonoma rather than the coastline (i.e. Jenner)

It's just the two of us, no children. We are looking for wineries as well as hiking, kayaking, etc.

Thank you!!!

Eureka, California
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Best location in Sonoma for a couple

Here's a map that shows relative proximity to wineries.

www.winecountry.com/maps/sonoma-county-map/

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,556 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Best location in Sonoma for a couple

Jenner does not have many accommodations, and there is really nothing to do there except watch the Russian River enter the Pacific. If you find yourself there at mealtime, the restaurant Rivers End gets good reviews.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,431 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Best location in Sonoma for a couple

Jenner also doesn't get much sun in July due to coastal fog. Highs are typically in the low 60s. Inland they are usually in the 80s. Guerneville is a good location since it's close to the sea and also near the vineyards.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,178 posts
6,438 reviews
4. Re: Best location in Sonoma for a couple

If you are attracted to the coastal area, look just a few miles south of Jenner at Bodega Bay. Both Inn at the Tides and Bodega Bay Lodge are both nice places to stay. Its also a short drive to Sebastapol which is a very nice town to explore if you like wine and good food. Each place has to do some education with their tastings. There is also a very cute street Florence Avenue.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g330…

So I would just look a bit further south.

Goat Head Rock area is amazing (mouth of the Russian River) on the coast.

http://www.innatthetides.com/

bodegabaylodge.com/…

Although Jenner is where I celebrated my 21st birthday so always a special place for me - its just too busy on the road to stay.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
709 posts
120 reviews
5. Re: Best location in Sonoma for a couple

You might also consider staying in Geyserville. Its in the north county and though small it does have a couple of lodging options. That town would put you close to the Russian River, so kayaking would be pretty easy to accomplish, and there are hiking trails all along Lake Sonoma in the park which is not very far away.

You would be very convenient to wineries in the area, and the town of Healdsburg is very nearby with options for shopping and dining.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
147 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: Best location in Sonoma for a couple

It is about 1 hr from SF to Santa Rosa and 1 hr from Santa Rosa to the Pacific Ocean. One romantic place to stay is Madrona Mannor in West Healdsburg. It has an excellent restaurant, so no worries about drinking & driving.

Everything in Sonoma County is not too far for finding wineries or tasting rooms.

Betz

Level Contributor
39,284 posts
1,019 reviews
7. Re: Best location in Sonoma for a couple

Bodega Bay Lodge & Spa is a very nice property. We stayed in The Trumpeter Suite in the back of the property. Our room was very spacious with a patio overlooking the bay. There is a heated pool and enclosed jacuzzi there and The Duck Club restaurant is on-site for meals. :)

8. Re: Best location in Sonoma for a couple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2017, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Sonoma County