We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colmenar, Andalucia -whch restaurants and where to buy wine

Sussex
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Colmenar, Andalucia -whch restaurants and where to buy wine

We are visiting Colmenar, Andalucia this summer and I would be interested to know whether anyone has some good restaurants to recommend within half an hour or so of Colmenar. We are on a fairly tight budget so will only eat out every few days. We also have three children so aren't after anything formal. Any recommendations would be great, plus any ideas on roughly what price the menus are at the moment (I have read in the papers that Spain has dropped its prices so would be interested to hear more about this). Also, any tips on buying wine. We have visited France many times and have tried to buy litres (or more!) of wine direct from either vineyards or the wine cooperatives, at a fraction of the price you get charged in shops. Is this possible in Spain and what do we look out for (only after table wine rather than anything fancy really!). Many thanks for any advice people can offer. Julia

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colmenar, Andalucia -whch restaurants and where to buy wine

Los Moriscos is our favourites restaurant at Colmenar - just past the outskirts of Colmenar across the main A356 carriageway. I have a list of restaurants to suit all tastes and pockets that are within a half hours drive of Colmenar that you would be welcome to have a copy of but would need your email address as it cannot be sent by PM.

Am afraid that, although there are meal deal offers on the coast, prices are realtively unchanged inland and it is now generally as dear as / in some cases more expensive to eat here than down in the resorts. However, some places still offer a set 3 course Menu del Dia lunch (and occasionally dinner) for under 10 euros per person..

This area does not have many grapes so is not known for table wine production - the limited amount of grapes grown here are used for raisins or for fortified drinks such as Malaga Wines (like Sherry) so buying from a co-operative isn´t really an option. However, a bottle of very drinkable wine can be bought from supermarkets for under 2 euros a bottle.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 07 June 2010, 11:28
2. Re: Colmenar, Andalucia -whch restaurants and where to buy wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 June 2010, 16:32
Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colmenar, Andalucia -whch restaurants and where to buy wine

I have sent you the restaurant list as requested, along with some local excursion suggestions. I suggest that you delete your last post so that your email address is not on general display.

Yes - there are many outlets for Olive Oil. Each village has its own co-operative and there is great competition as to which is the best! Although we live near the mills at Los Romanes and Puente Don Manuel we always drive to the factory at Mondron (not far from Periana) as we like their Oil best; the factory has a small interesting museum showing how the oil was produced years ago.

Most restaurants will do Childrens portions on request and a few actually list a Childrens Menu.

Have a great trip and please feel free to contact me by PM or email if I can be of any further help.

Sussex
Level Contributor
61 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colmenar, Andalucia -whch restaurants and where to buy wine

Thanks - have removed my last post to remove email address. As I said in my email to you, thank you so much for your help today - fantastic.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colmenar, Andalucia -whch restaurants and where to buy wine

I too will be staying near Colmenar this summer and would really appreciate a copy of that list of restaurants and any other information you have to hand, if possible?

Would you have any suggestions of good places to buy quality meat and vegetables? Is the Colmenar farmers' market any good?

I will message you with my email address.

Many thanks

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colmenar, Andalucia -whch restaurants and where to buy wine

Have sent you the info as requested Vellaq.

Colmenar market is good for Fruit and Veg but not for meat.

7. Re: Colmenar, Andalucia -whch restaurants and where to buy wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Colmenar