We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy, Croatia, Greece?

Seattle...
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Italy, Croatia, Greece?

I'm going on my first trip to Europe fall of 2015 to Berlin and Prague. I am in the very early stages of planning my second trip, which I want to take in spring of 2016. Because the cities I'll be visiting this fall are inland, I want my spring trip to be along the coast and to experience some of the beaches of Europe. What comes to mind are Italy, Croatia and Greece.

I know there are lots of resources out there, but I need help/opinions/thoughts narrowing down my choices. Below are some of the criteria when I think of where I'd like to go. I appreciate your comments!

1) In 10 days I'd like to experience two to three cities/towns. (I'm not an on-the-go traveler).

2) I'm coming from Seattle, where I can fly direct to London, Frankfurt or Rome. From those three cities I'd be open to taking one or two more flights at most to get to my destination(s).

3) I like the convenience of being close to major airports, but the feel of a small town. (Or a "big" small city.)

4) Beaches, beaches, beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Italy
Italy
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe
London
London
England, UK
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
3 replies to this topic
Virginia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy, Croatia, Greece?

Points and ponderings to consider as you continue your research:

What month?

The sea is not warm enough for swimming in Croatia until late May; reportedly the same in Greece as well. Croatia beaches are mostly rock and pebble, if that matters to you. Italian beaches are not much to write home about, except Sardinia--though the coast is quite stunning.

Start looking at airfares and routes, as you probably wish to minimize transfers. If you fly to a major airport and then try to switch to a low cost carrier, you often have to deal with changing to a smaller airport and deal with strict baggage restrictions. I find it usually works out better just paying more to get to my destination on one ticket.

10 days gives you a good chunk of time in Croatia, but for Greece or Italy you have to be mega-selective. For Greece, unless you manage to snag good airfare to somewhere like Crete, you will likely be transiting through Athens both ways.

Enjoy the planning!

PS You have put this in an obscure subforum "Sudurad" so you may need to re-post/

Edited: 25 February 2015, 22:42
Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Crete
Crete
Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Seattle...
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy, Croatia, Greece?

Thanks for your help. No clue what "Sudurad" is or how my post got there. :-) I want travel mid-May 2016.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,107 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy, Croatia, Greece?

There are direct flights from London, Frankfurt and Rome to Zagreb and to some coastal airports in Croatia.

With 10 days you will also have to be selective in Croatia. You either visit south and central coasts or central coast and Istria. I don't think you can do both unless you want o spend a lot of time in the car and not have enough time to see much.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Zagreb
Zagreb