We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

box jellyfish or irukandji

Sao Vicente, Cape...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
box jellyfish or irukandji

I have been told that there were a few cases of box jellyfish and/or irukandji stings in Bunaken, particular in the main beach (Liang) in the western part of the Island or in the main snorkelling sites

Is this true ?

If so, what is the worst period (I'll be there from 21 to 2nd may) ?

Do you recommend sting suits ?

As we all know, box jellyfish can be letal, specially if children are the victims. This concerns me a lot, as I have a 9 yr old and 10 yr old children..

Thanks for your advice

Mentioned in this post
Bunaken Island
Bunaken Island
Manado, Indonesia
3 replies to this topic
Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: box jellyfish or irukandji

Not heard of this and there were certainly none there when we went.. Who told you about this?

We snorkelled every day and nothing but thousands of fish

You aren't getting confused with "sea lice" are you? These, I believe are the larvae of jellyfish and feel like pin pricks. They can lead to itching

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: box jellyfish or irukandji

I was there in May for two weeks diving several years ago, No sign of what you mention, there were lots of little stinging "things" A full suit and gloves are recommend when diving. Certainly nothing to worry about though.

Sao Vicente, Cape...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: box jellyfish or irukandji

In fact, coming back from my trip with my family I can state that finally this is not an issue.

Irukandji is definitely not present at all.

In what concerns the box jelly fish, sightings are very rare and not close to shore. There was only one sting that was recorded in recent years, but I believe (and so the dive guides) that it was an unfortunate isolated accident that took place under very exceptional circumstances (heavy rain, winds, etc.)

Reply to: box jellyfish or irukandji
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bunaken Island