We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM card for Bunaken?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
178 posts
191 reviews
SIM card for Bunaken?

I want to make sure I have wi-fi when we stay at Bunaken Island. I read somewhere that the island has only one cell tower and is very remote. Is there a certain brand of SIM card I should buy at Manado airport? Or will any work?

(I am considering staying at Mamaling resort which is very remote and its website says it doesn't have internet, if that matters.)

Thank you

8 replies to this topic
Geoje, South Korea
Level Contributor
14 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: SIM card for Bunaken?

Hi HappyBelly. Did you make it to Bunaken and did you figure out the sim card? I'll be heading there in 10 days and would like to know as well. Thinking to pick up a sim at DPS airport. Curious if there's an iphone 5s LTE sim available.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
178 posts
191 reviews
2. Re: SIM card for Bunaken?

Stephanie70,

No, I haven't been yet. Will you let me know if you find something that works?

Thank you.

jakarta
Level Contributor
669 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: SIM card for Bunaken?

Get SIM by Telkomsel. If this does not work I do not know of any other.

Regensburg, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
838 reviews
4. Re: SIM card for Bunaken?

I'm always using 3 (tri) 3G when i am in indonesia. In bunaken however, it does not work. In manado is working.

Make sure you can and want to use resort's wifi

Best regard

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
178 posts
191 reviews
5. Re: SIM card for Bunaken?

Jerot76,

Thanks for the helpful info. I have a reservation with Mamaling which states it has no Internet, so I was hoping to buy a SIM card so that I could still have Internet. If I buy a Telkomsel SIM card, is 2G enough to check email (not movies)?

My other option is to stay at Bunaken Cha Cha Resort where they provide Internet, but it costs ~ $10 a day, so I think buying a SIM card would be cheaper.

Jimbaran, Indonesia
Level Contributor
17 posts
6. Re: SIM card for Bunaken?

Try sinpaty telkomsel ,,, or three (3) just in case

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
101 reviews
7. Re: SIM card for Bunaken?

I think you meant Simpati by Telkomsel. Generally the best coverage for most places in Indonesia.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
178 posts
191 reviews
8. Re: SIM card for Bunaken?

I just got back from my Bunaken trip. I bought the Simpati Telkomsel for 25,000 rupiah. It was too slow and useless. I got one email out of it and that was it for the entire time I was there. I was 0.25 kb/sec on Bunaken Island. I think there is a '3G' card that costs more, but the woman didn't tell me about it (or I didn't understand because she doesn't speak English.) The store wasn't very good -- she had cut the sim card to a micro-card size to activate it, and then when she just tried to shove it in my phone which is regular size.

I also walked to Liang Pier, one of the small villages, and they didn't have sim cards for sale. I never saw Bunaken Village so I don't know if they'd have it. If I were to do it again, I'd try to get it from the airport and insist on 3G. Or just stay at a place that has free Internet -- that may be easier.

Reply to: SIM card for Bunaken?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bunaken Island