We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat locally

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Where to eat locally

We are staying in Midori, Sumida and were wondering if there are any good restaurants within in walking distance - preferably with an English or picture menu. ( yes - I have tried looking on the Net but I don't read Japanese so it's difficult to understand opening times menu etc )

Edited: 19 August 2015, 09:18
Mentioned in this post
Sumida
Sumida
Tokyo, Japan
6 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to eat locally

Mikazuki looks nice a nice Kappo Restaurant: http://r.gnavi.co.jp/g876100/menu7

Komachu seems like a good old izakaya: sp.raqmo.com/sakagurakomachu/menu.php…

Sushi Kazato seems promising: tabelog.com/tokyo/…smp2

Yabusoba on the main Keiyo Road should offer nice traditional buckwheat noodles.

Don't bother with something less inspiring like an English Menu at a down-to-earth local place like Sumida Ward. Have fun at trying things new. Just ask for Osusume (recommendation).

As I live not too far from the area, I sometimes go to Kinshicho and I recently found a quite nice Chinese restaurant at Kotobashi.

Edited: 19 August 2015, 14:48
Mentioned in this post
Sumida
Sumida
Tokyo, Japan
Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to eat locally

Thank you Yobeekool..........No way are we looking for English food just a menu written in English. We can't wait to try an Izakaya and I intend to eat as much sushi and sashimi as i can as to get decent sushi and sashimi is difficult in the Uk unless you live in a big city. I have learnt a few phrases in Japanese to try and help like " futario no seki ga ides" and, as you mentioned, "dore ga osusume deska" so it should be fun seeing what we get to eat. It's really good that you describe Sumida as down to earth and local as that was what we were hoping for and as we are staying in an apartment and not an hotel it should be great. Thank you for your advice Arigato.

Mentioned in this post
Sumida
Sumida
Tokyo, Japan
United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to eat locally

Don't worry about picking restaurants in advance. It's better to get a feel for places when you are standing right in front of them, unless you are looking for a specific high-end place that requires reservations. Kinshicho is indeed a good place to start. Loads of reasonable choices around there. For sushi, an izakaya might not be the best place, though; you're more likely to get good sashimi than good sushi. I had some fairly good kaiten sushi at a place in the Kinshicho Station complex a few years ago (I think it's still there but I can't remember the name). Kaiten sushi ranges in quality but this was way above average.

If your Japanese is not good enough to understand the gist of what a chef or waiter might be saying to you, I'm not sure I would just ask for "osusume," to be honest. You could end up with something like ika no shiokara. (Well, that might be an interesting cultural experience and you might even like it.) Or they might go in the opposite direction and serve you something that feels safe to serve to foreigners, and it might not be their best offerings or anything that you are interested in. Don't feel stupid about wanting at least a picture menu, at least until you gain some experience with restaurants in Japan. Or a lot of places have food displays in front that you can point to. You really shouldn't have any trouble as long as you stay out of places that look intimidating.

If you have an apartment you will probably want to visit supermarkets and/or department store basements and get all sorts of appealing takeout that you can heat up. There are at least two good-size supermarkets at Kinshicho. But for really good raw fish, I would get it at a restaurant rather than trying to self cater.

Mentioned in this post
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
7,480 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to eat locally

This video is about essential Japanese for the first time travelers to eat in Japanese restaurants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSBsrR720bk

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to eat locally

Thank you Mabei0 for the link, it was very helpful in improving some of my pronunciation. We are looking forward to our trip to Tokyo and Kyoto very much. i am sure when we are over the jet lag we are going to have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Baguio City...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to eat locally

Most restaurants in Japan has displays or dummy food outside their resto and it us almost the same with what they serve on the table. If you want to enjoy freshly prepares sashimi or sushi, you should check Tsukiji fish market during mornings. The earlier the better since crowds of locals and tourists flock here and queue on local shops. You may want to check my blog I have a detailed itinerary here.

http://wp.me/p6ABGU-8

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Where to eat locally
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sumida