We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sumo In November

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
Sumo In November

My husband and I are gong to Japan on Thursday and one of the reasons the country has always fascinated me is the tradition of Sumo. Unfortunately, we cannot get to the grand tournament on this trip, and I don't know if I could sit on the floor for 2 hours at a stable training session... I was wondering if there are any smaller tournaments which take place, where the lower ranks compete? Any other ideas of how to experience Sumo would be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
3 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,820 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sumo In November

11月8~9日 土~日 全国学生相撲選手権大会 東京都 両国国技館

Nov 8-9 Sat-Sun Japan National University Student Sumo Championship at Kokugikan, Ryogoku, Tokyo

Mentioned in this post
Ryogoku
Ryogoku
158 Reviews
Sumida, Japan
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,558 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sumo In November

A Sumo tournament is amazing! I went to the championship in Nagoya a couple of years ago and have tickets in Fukuoka on the 14th November. I don't think the tickets were that difficult to get and Fukuoka is a short plane ride from Tokyo if you wanted to see the professional tournament as well.

Mentioned in this post
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Fukuoka
Fukuoka
Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Singapore
Level Contributor
324 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sumo In November

Is there any sumo wrestling tournament during early dec 8-9 dec? Tot to bring my kids to see....tks

Reply to: Sumo In November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sumida