We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Found a WOW building in Tokyo

Which Minato hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Found a WOW building in Tokyo

I'm glad I decided to walk to the Kuniyoshi exhibition at Roppongi Hills from my hotel in Toranomon as on the way I discovered this amazing building - Reiyukai Shakaden.

http://g.co/maps/83qh8

Nearest station is Kamiyacho and it's open to the public - so long as you're brave enough to go through the 2 sets of big heavy doors at the top of the stairs! I felt like I was entering an alien spaceship!

The Kuniyoshi exhibition was also spectacular. It's on until 12th Feb.

http://kuniyoshi.exhn.jp/english.html

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
22,814 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Found a WOW building in Tokyo

Reiyukai is one of those "New Religions" sects of Buddhism so their building must be made to Wow you, indeed. I don't think Riyukai is one of those groups which won't let you get away without converting to their religion (current Tokyo mayor seems to be a believer), but you could be quite brave to go through those doors ...

Kuniyoshi is a Ukiyoe artist and not related to Reiyukai or Buddhist sects, by the way...

Edited: 12 January 2012, 20:08
Durham
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Found a WOW building in Tokyo

"Kuniyoshi is a Ukiyoe artist and not related to Reiyukai or Buddhist sects, by the way..."

I don't think my post suggested otherwise?

On the way to the Kuniyoshi exhibition I noticed and visited the Reiyukai building. It's quite simple.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Found a WOW building in Tokyo

This thread was confusing until I figured out that the two objects of discussion had nothing to do with the price of tea in China. The subject was the "WOW building" but the first sentence discussed the exhibition. I made the same connection, incorrectly.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
22,814 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Found a WOW building in Tokyo

Another good place to see somewhat similar WOW buildings distinct in style is Tenri city, about 20-30 minutes from Nara city. It's hometown to Tenrikyo, an older one of the "new religions".

Edited: 13 January 2012, 18:36
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Found a WOW building in Tokyo

Thanks for that Post - I've walked past this building before and never known what it is. It is a seriously impressive piece of architecture though. There is another 'WOW" building I pass going to work in the morning at Otemachi which is almost like this place on its side.

6. Re: Found a WOW building in Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2013, 10:27