We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?

3 posts
Save Topic
Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?

I'm a solo traveler and wanted to see all the really cool insider stuff but the tours are 2 people minimum. Anyone have a reliable guide?

22 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?

The tour I took included both inner and outer market (big emphasis on inner market, though), and did not include the auction (no way I'd make it there that early). But the great thing about the tour with Sakamoto-san is that he used to be a fishmonger at the market, and is still on friendly terms with many vendors who will interact with you (show you the day's best catch, or the best wasabi stems they have on offer that day) and he really knows the lay of the land, including some areas of the inner market that are technically not off-limits but rarely visited by tourists. I recall paying around $200 for a 2.5 hour tour, and definitely found it well worth it. And this is after visiting Tsukiji at least 10 times on my own.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 02:28
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?

I love the look of that tour, Olivier, adding that to my list for next time. Thanks!

I am usually not a tour person, but I definitely enjoy in depth tours with experts, especially when I am not fluent in the language or unfamiliar with the area of interest.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 02:31
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,030 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?

Wow, $200 for a 2.5 hour tour? That's outrageously expensive. I guess it's an ok tour to take if you're clueless, no Japanese language skills and money to burn.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?

It’s comparable to other private tours, actually. Good tour guides are expensive period.

California
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?

Nice debate, but is the OP willing to cough up $200?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,030 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?

That's good to know. Being Japanese and a former Tokyo residen and still a frequent visitor to Tokyo, I've never taken a tour of any sort, I confess. But $200 for a short tour is still a lot when you can do it yourself for free. All you have to do is read up and research about Tsukiji.

But after all, it's your trip, so do as you please and have a good one.

Save Reply
17. Re: Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?

Hi, kindly advise if Tsukiji Fish Market will be moved by late Oct? I will be visiting Tokyo from 24 to 30 Oct 18.

Japan
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?

Yes. And even if you were able to visit before the move (around the beginning of October), tourists are excluded from the wholesale market until after 11 a.m.. The market has finished for the day and gone by then, so it is largely pointless IMO.

California
Level Contributor
367 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?

What is going to happen with all the little businesses around the current market? Are they moving too? We were hoping to enjoy a sashimi breakfast/lunch after touring the market.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,631 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?

The outer market shops and restaurants will stay at Tsukiji.

Reply to: Best way to tour Tsukiji Fish Market for 1 person?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chuo
More Chuo Topics