We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague

up north
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague

How many people are out there who have been conned by Goldcar? My rental through Auto Europe included full insurance with zero excess. When I picked up the car I was told that I only had third party insurance and if there was any damage to the car I would be liable for up to the full value of the car. 'Do you want to take the insurance or take the risk' I was asked. I felt I could not go on holiday with the possibility of a £12000 bill if there was an incident. When I returned home I checked with Auto Europe and I did indeed have full insurance with zero excess. I have complained to Goldcar and await their response. I am expecting no refund but look forward to reading their excuse.

Also, having had the car for 4 hours, it would not start. I rang the SOS emergency helpline. My call went to answerphone asking me to leave a message. I did this twice. We were visiting family and they came and picked us up and took us to their house. We went to the car later in the day and it started. I never received a call from the SOS helpline.

184 replies to this topic
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague

Fully agree! Goldcar should be avoided. The company is a scam. Their staff is rude and uninformed, and they make their profit with hidden fees.

When you make the online reservation, the system tells you you have full insurance. When you arrive at the airport, they present you a long list of excess costs for what damage (mirror up to EUR100, wheel up to EUR200, and so on). The list is endless. So they basically force you to take extra insurance. If you don't, the credit card authorization they ask for is in the thousands to cover all these potential costs. Even if you tell them your platinum credit card covers that.

Also, they charge you a full tank extra - at a much higher price than on the street, of course. When you say there was no such information in the reservation, they say "of course, gas is never included, the reservation tells you". Indeed, when you make the reservation, the confirmation says that gas is not included. Well, of course it isn't. It never is. But they interpret this phrasing to their advantage saying of course it means that an extra tank load is charged when you pick up the car. The then tell you you have to return it empty. When you ask them how you are supposed to return a car absolutely empty, they say that's not their problem and that it's their policy, it's clear in the reservation and standard.

So they make extra money by forcing you to pay a full tank load at their high prices, plus they will always receive the car back with some fuel left in the tank. Nice policy, and I'm sure it's illegal. In Europe there is a law forcing airlines and other service providers to make their website pricing structure clear and user-friendly with no hidden fees. Airlines like Ryanair or Easyjet have had to pay fines because they repeatedly ignored these regulations coming up with new tricks again and again. I am convinced if people filed complaints, Goldcar would have to pay as well! But who finally bothers?

Anyways, stay clear of them. Their prices look attractive first, but they scam you when you are there, and then you might not have a choice to withdraw because all other agencies are booked out or you have already made a payment during reservation.

up north
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague

Below is the response to my complaint. This automatic response does not even touch on the fact that I had insurance cover with Auto Europe and was lied to by Goldcar staff. 300,000 people have been conned into buying their insurance!

Thank you for your observations about your car hire experience with us.

Your opinion is important to us and is the key to our commitment to fulfill our customer’s expectations.

Although the basic insurance included in Goldcar’s rates offers one of the best coverage available (CDW, personal and civil responsibility coverage, theft and fire coverage and paint and bodywork damage), we have responded to our customer’s demands by creating an additional optional insurance called Relax insurance.

This insurance guarantees the peace of mind of our customers during the hire period with its broad coverage. The Relax insurance includes: 24 hour free roadside assistance, damage to the undercarriage and clutch, tow truck services, taxi service, battery recharge services, lost keys, damage to wheels, tires and car glass etc.

As well as this exceptional coverage you are insured directly with us, which means that you do not have to pay for any damage or claim back the costs from a third party.

For this reason more than 300.000 customers, like you, selected this product for their peace of mind last year.

The insurance that you signed for on your contract upon collection of the car is a non-refundable service like all other insurance policies and therefore can not be redeemed, as you may have unknowingly benefitted from the coverage and have been protected against any unexpected charge during your hire period.

We would like to thank you again for your time and your evaluation of our service.

We hope to see you again soon and remember, for any further information about your car hire, please visit our website www.goldcar.es

Kind Regards,

Goldcar Spain

Budapest, Hungary
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague

GOLDCAR – THE THEFT COMPANY

I go to Spain on quarterly basis. The closest airport for my final destination is Malaga. I use to hire a car in the airport. In April 2012 I made the mistake and hired a car from Goldcar. I didn't have problems during my trip, I returned the car in time as per contract. Flew back home. The next day I arrived home, I checked my bank account statement. Goldcar charged me in USD although I informed them that the bank account assigned to my bank card is in euro. They converted the euro amount in USD and then back to euro. This conversion cost me 56.78 euro. I contacted Goldcar in e-mail and via phone but they never refund me. In August 2012 we went again to our friends in Spain. In August the Malaga airport is pretty crowded so I asked my wife to hire a car while I'm waiting for our baggage. I missed to mention to my wife to avoid Goldcar. By the time I got my luggage, my other half was already waiting with a Goldcar car key. The answer to my question why exactly this company she said: there were less people at Goldcar’s desk. She already paid everything so, I yield to fate. Again: no problems during the trip, car returned in time, flew home. After three weeks on my wife’s bank account an additional charge of 130 Euro appeared. Claimer: Goldcar. Accessed Goldcar’s webpage and found two invoices under our client code: first for the car hire (which was ok) and a second one for unknown reason. There was no description on the invoice just the amount. We contacted Goldcar in e-mail and phone and after more than one month I’ve got the answer: the additional charge relates to special cleaning. And this is unacceptable as we returned the car in the same conditions we received, without damages or dirt. The biggest problem in the whole story is that my bank pays these charges even though I informed them that they shouldn’t. Once your card data were provided to Goldcar (e.g. when you pay for car hire on the spot), later on they can charge you whatever amount they want and as many time as they want to. They can send invoices to the bank with whatever description – and strange to say the bank will transfer the money to Goldcar. And after then you can chase your money, you can call Goldcar (it’s pretty hard to reach Goldcar’s Customer Service and the international call costs) but the most important you’re wasting your precious time. So, if you don’t want to have stroke, if you would like to have calm après-holiday then avoid Goldcar. Pick another company but read the objective opinions about it before contacting them.

Please note I didn’t write down the above because Goldcar got me shirt out, but to help others not to experience the same.

Vicenza
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague

Ho prenotato la vettura pagata tramite carta di credito in anticipo ma arrivato all'aeroporto di Malaga il 30 ottobre 2012 alle 15.30 l'auto non mi veniva consegnata per un disservizio tecnico. Vista l' impossibilità di trovare altre vetture disponibili presso altre compagnie ho dovuto ricorrere ad un taxi per raggiungere Marbella. Oltre alla maleducazione dell'addetta al ceck in che mi ha trattato come un delinquente si rileva che la vettura è stata confermata con largo anticipo e mai veniva data una disdetta da parte della Gold car con email o altro. Inoltre mi è già successo che si prenota una auto di categoria superiore ma viene assegnata un'auto furgoncino che per appuntamenti di lavoro non è il massimo. Disonesti inoltre a far pagare 85 euro di benzina anche se il serbatoio non li contiene anche perchè il costo carburante in Spagna è molto più basso di altri paesi . Gold Car è uguale a disonestà e maleducazione ed affidarsi ad altri noleggi anche se il noleggio appare più caro è molto più conveniente ed alla fine si viene ripagati

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague

We too have just had a nightmare experience with Goldcar at Malaga Airport.We lived in Spain for years but have never known rudeness like it from the staff at the rental desk.I have still not got over the appalling way we were treated a few days ago so cannot bring myself to give the details here..suffice to say..SOMETHING needs doing about this dreadful company.

Leeds, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague

I hope someone can help please! Do you have a head office address or an email address to a senior manager at goldcar! I was in my hire car going ro alicante airport to pick my mam up. I was in the correct lane when a goldcar driver come flying round the corner into a lane that is not even a lane and has a solid white line down it he sped up and undertook me then cutme up to cross into my lane. He had to slam his breaks on but he had not left me any stopping distance and I went into theback of him! I explained what happened to the police but he stood their and told them he did no undertake me in the wrong lane! This driver is well known to the police forhis driving etc and has been warned by his bosses. What i cannot believe that he stood there and looked the policeman in the eye and lied!! I have been charged €500 and will not get a penny back all because of this idiot!

Please if you have any head office address or a directors email address i would be extremely grateful thank u

Alicante, Spain
Level Contributor
916 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague

www.goldcar.co.uk/en/reserva/

Leeds, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague

Thanky you so much!

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
4,989 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague

10beginner10 - I work at the airport and have twice written to the airport management to complain about the hire car drivers using the airport roads as their own personal racetrack, so I know exactly what you are on about. Something needs to be done immediately about these idiots.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague

Thanks for the advice and thanks very much for putting this info up in the first place.

I was just about to book an intermediate car with them for 3 weeks, I will avoid them like the plague.

Glen

Reply to: Goldcar - Avoid Like the Plague
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alicante