We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats it like?

london
Level Contributor
75 posts
whats it like?

so i am looking for a nice resort for me and my family to stay in away from the noisy nightlife.

Whats the resort like?

Looking for a

beach

staying in a Villa

nice restuarants

no more than an hour transfer

9 replies to this topic
Rustington, West...
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
165 reviews
1. Re: whats it like?

It's a lovely quiet resort that's for sure, have just got back from a day trip , am staying in Corralejo which is a 20-30 min drive, it has stunning lagoons and a good number of restaurants to eat out in , although Corralejo is busier I think El Cotillo is a bit too quiet for some.

If that's what you crave it's perfect.

Driving there from the airport is easy and car hire cheap, if that's an option?

Level Contributor
59 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: whats it like?

If you've looked at the photos on here, El Cotillo is exactly that- great place to enjoy the sandy beaches,lagoons. You won't find sunloungers & parasols,most take picnics to beach .

SC is easy, there is a big supermarket on road into town with a great selection of produce, also another smaller one by Cotillo Beach hotel and small shops dotted around.

Enough very good restaurants/ cafes to choose from depending on your taste & wallet, never had a bad meal in any one we've tried.

Daytime is busier around resort with tourists but goes quieter in evenings (but not dead) . If you want browsing round shops or nightlife, El Cotillo is not for you. hth

South West England...
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
140 reviews
3. Re: whats it like?

Hardly any shops (A good thing) but good supermarkets for food etc.. a few bars, many restaurants. Some very good. Beaches are fantastic but few facilities. Some have no facilities but if you get up to La Concha beach there is a beach cafe & toilets.

You may encounter naturists but if you stick to Marlofin beach near the town you are unlikely to meet any if it is a problem for you..

A great surfing venue. Several surf shops and the south beach is always in use for surf.

The old harbour is now only a tourist destination, the new harbour is really only for the working fishing boats.

Easiest way to get there is by car. Note no petrol available in the town. 40 minutes from the airport.

We always go there when on the island. It's our favourite place.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: whats it like?

I'd like to get the message out that El Cotillo is NOT kid friendly or stroller friendly or restaurant friendly. Outside of the beach they will be bored and whine and cry a lot. I've been living here for quite a while and see too many unhappy kids of all ages. There are many other vacations and or places in Fuerteventura that are kid friendly but El Cotillo is NOT one of them. Sorry for the honest review post.

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: whats it like?

I would agree,not enough for kids to do in El Cotillo.I would add not much for adults either particularly at night as there's only a limited amount of restaurants & hardly any bars.If you stay there expect a low key,very low key holiday. Some would like that but very many wont do.

Rustington, West...
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
165 reviews
6. Re: whats it like?

A hire car for trips around the island would make El Cotillo a much better location.

I get bored in Corralejo so dart all over the island almost every day.

But yes very peacful but it's definitely expanding little by little

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: whats it like?

Please read the other comments below as well.

- Cotillo is not a "resort" it is very rustic.

- It's not kid friendly. It's more of a adult getaway from your kids. Older people holding hands while walking, having quiet romantic dinner or drinks.

- restaurants are decent, but don't expect mind blowing flavors.

-beaches are rustic don't count on having facilities. Bring toilet paper where ever you go and please pack it out and so leave it behind. PLUS, you have to be okay with the naturalists.

South West England...
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
140 reviews
8. Re: whats it like?

Naturists goodcraiccrew. Naturists.

Charles Darwin was a famous naturalist and he hardly ever took his clothes off.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: whats it like?

Lol...thanks for the update on my spelling error and history lesson! ;)

Reply to: whats it like?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Cotillo
Recent Conversations
More El Cotillo Topics