We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from caplabio to rome

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
travel from caplabio to rome

HI all.

My husband will be driving us to capalbio in a rental car where we will stay a few days, next stop to rome overnight, and then to the airport. He is uncomfortable with the thought of driving into Rome so we thought of the following options:

drop the rental car off in or near Capalbio (if there is a rental car place near) and then take a train to Rome and a cab to the hotel and then a cab to the airport the next morning

or option b:

drive to just outside of Rome and drop the car in the rental place nearest to Rome and take a cab into Rome and a cab to the airport or

the third would be to encourage my husband to drive to Rome, garage the car and then drive to the airport the next morning.

What also complicates the car "drop-off" is the fact that we would need to drop the car in Capalbio or in Rome on a Sunday, as our flight is on a Monday and I thinks some rental places are closed.

Any ideas on how to simplify this for us? Thank you so much

Centro Storico di Capalbio
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Neighbourhoods
Castello Di Capalbio
Castles, Points of Interest & Landmarks
2 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,092 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from caplabio to rome

From Capalbio, the easiest option would be to drive to FCO airport and drop the car there. There are a number of ways of getting from FCO into Rome.

On a Sunday, the only rental offices likely to be open would be at FCO, Rome Termini station, Pisa airport or Florence airport.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from caplabio to rome

Absolutely, drive to FCO, it's an easy, stress-free drive of around 90 mins. Capalbio, which is a lovely little town, we often stop there for lunch, is only about 15 minutes off the Via Aurelia, a good road that takes you right to FCO avoiding Rome city completely. You are don't go through any urban area at all. There are plenty of accommodation options close to the airport, many of which offer a minibus pick-up and drop between hotel and terminal. My only word of warning would be taking this road late on a Sunday afternoon as it can be very slow going indeed in places with Roman weekenders returning to town. But so long as you don't have a flight to catch that evening, even this shouldn't be a problem. It's a nice drive too with good views of the sea from the south bound carriageway.

Reply to: travel from caplabio to rome
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Capalbio
Recent Conversations
More Capalbio Topics