We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wyndham Rio Grande Booked - Help needed.

New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
11 reviews
Wyndham Rio Grande Booked - Help needed.

Just booked a 4 night stay at this resort for my boyfriends birthday. Thought I got a good deal but now I am a bit worried after reading posts that we'll have to spend more money than I anticipated. Did not plan on renting a car as this vacation is basically a sit back and relax type of trip. Would appreciate any and all suggestions from those of u who have stayed here on best ways to minimize costs while still enjoying our vacation. Would love to venture off the resort for some authentic Puerto Rican experiences but hoping to stay in close proximity to the resort (walking distance preferably) I appreciate any and all advice... I think a grocery store stop on the way and a fridge in the room is def a good start.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
145 reviews
1. Re: Wyndham Rio Grande Booked - Help needed.

There is an Enterprise car rental location at the hotel. If you want to get out of the compound to the rain forest etc, that is the way to go. Reserve ahead.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Wyndham Rio Grande Booked - Help needed.

Cabrera Auto Rental has an office in Rio Grande not too far from the hotel. They havepick up service.

There is a mini market right in the corner of the road to Rio Mar, although the "convenience" means more expensive prices, but still reasonable.

Edited: 28 January 2012, 11:06
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Wyndham Rio Grande Booked - Help needed.

Your best bet is to rent a car! You will more than make up the daily rate in savings by being able to:

1. Go to the grocery store and stock up on drinks/snacks to enjoy at the resort.

2. Go off property to eat. Many reasonable and great restaurants close by.

3. Do your own excursions. El Yunque is free, but you need a car. Highly recommend a bio bay trip, a fraction of the price if you drive yourself rather than taking an excursion through the hotel. Same with visiting Old San Juan.

It really is the only way to go if you want to save $$'s, there is nothing within walking distance to the resort. Have a great time.

New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Wyndham Rio Grande Booked - Help needed.

ok - so sounds like a car rental is in order for atleast a day or two. Convient that you can book a car through the hotel. Looking forward to this trip. Keep the suggestions coming!!

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Wyndham Rio Grande Booked - Help needed.

How much is the resort charging you for airport transfers? With that savings you could rent a car at the airport for your full stay.

Toledo, OH
Level Contributor
880 posts
419 reviews
6. Re: Wyndham Rio Grande Booked - Help needed.

Can you cancel your reservation? It looks like everyone who is bidding on Priceline is getting this hotel. That would be a good way to save some money.

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
145 reviews
7. Re: Wyndham Rio Grande Booked - Help needed.

Definately rent the car at SJU and not at the Rio Mar, First it is less expensive and for the 4 days should be less than the transfers back abd forth for 2 people. SJU is on the East side of San Juan. The Rio Mar is 30 miles further East. Just hop on the freeway East from SJU and you are on your way. No city driving in San Juan.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 02:18
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Wyndham Rio Grande Booked - Help needed.

I agree with post no. three. You can take a picnic to El Yunque, eat at the kiosks at Luquillo, bring your own lunch to eat at the plane. No need to bring to bring back home souvenirs. Take plenty of pictures and have a god time.

New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Wyndham Rio Grande Booked - Help needed.

After looking into a rental car - it absolutely makes way more sense to rent a car for the entire length of our trip instead of for a day or two. Airport transfers back and forth to San Juan alone are $65+ one way. Thank you for the suggestions. We then have the luxury of driving off the resort to anywhere our hearts desire.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
24 posts
10. Re: Wyndham Rio Grande Booked - Help needed.

You can always go to the Rain Forest is free, go to the beach in Luquillo, Playa Azul is free, walgreens and fast food are pretty close by.

caribbeanbusinesspr.com/magman/…index.html