We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware - Hotwire - Inflates Star Ratings

new york, ny
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Beware - Hotwire - Inflates Star Ratings

BEWARE - HOTWIRE INFLATES THE STAR RATING OF HOTELS TO INFLATE YOUR BID!!!!!

I just booked what I thought was a 3-start hotel on Hotwire - but it's realy a 2.5-star hotel. If I wanted a 2.5-Star hotel, then I would have bid on a 2.5-star hotel.

Why do the stars matter so much? Because Hot Wire and Price Line use the start rating to influence a person's bid. If Hot Wire balloons star ratings then they receive higher bids. I can speak from experience, that this has been happening more & more of late.

Don't believe me?... check out Expedia which corporately owns Hot Wire and compare. Expedia rates the Holiday Inn Express in Manchester NH at 2.5-stars, yet Hotwire (same corporation) says the same Holiday Inn Express in Manchester NH is 3-stars.

Learn from my mistake....

When bidding for a hotel on either of these sights... make sure you are bidding at least 1/2 to 1 full star up from what you want.

BEWARE - HOT WIRE INFLATES STAR RATINGS - AND IT'S HAPPENING ALL THE TIME!!!!

1. Re: Beware - Hotwire - Inflates Star Ratings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:41