We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing for a cruise

Connecticut
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Packing for a cruise

Does anyone have suggestions for packing for a seven night cruise to the western Carib.. I will be packing for myself and 3 children (age 10, 7, and 40-oh yeah, that last one is my husband) I was wondering especially about storing luggage, water, towels, dress clothes. Thanks in advance.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,833 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing for a cruise

Some of your questions would be easier to answer if we knew the ship and cabin type, and when you are traveling, but I think you will find it easier to pack if you take things that can be "mixed and matched", especially for yourself. Try to stick with a color theme, so you can get by with fewer things, like shoes. The airlines have cut down on baggage allowances, so that would be the main consideration. Take comfortable shoes for all the shore excursions (You might wear them on the flight), and try to only take maybe one pair of dress shoes for the "formal" night. Otherwise, capri's work well for going ashore, and t-shirts also. You will want at least one swim suit each, and definitely a cover up of some sort. I always found that I was very casual during the day-shorts, capri's etc. The kids will be fine most of the time in shorts also, but something a bit nicer for the evenings is nice. If you are doing something like Carnival, it will be more casual than say-Princess. The brochures will have guidelines for you, and your travel agent should be able to let you know what to expect depending on the cruise you have picked. There is not a lot of storage space in most cabins, so if you can manage with one bag and a carryon each, that will help. As for water-I don't think you would need to be taking any, and do check into the "soda cards" for the kids (and you perhaps). Again-knowing which line and cabin will help in getting some answers. Have a super time!

NJ
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing for a cruise

Hi,

I've been on 3 cruises so far, 2 of them with the 3 kids. We've never packed towels. Try to bring suitcases that can fit into eachother when they are unpacked. Hopefully this will then be able to slide under a bed.

Also pack empty duffle bags for things like dirty laundry and souvenirs for your return journey. Purchase one of those clear plastic over the door shoe holders to hang over the bathroom door. You can fit all your bathroom/ toiletries etc in that - as there will be almost no room to put that kind of stuff. I found it really handy.

Be really selective about the clothing you pack. Put out everything you're thinking of bringing, then eliminate about half of it, then go thru it all one more time. Think about what sort of things pack well and can be worn more than once.

I know packing for the family is overwhelming! Hope this helps!

Minnesota
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing for a cruise

Also looking for ideas on how to pack for my family of four. Going on NCL to Westeran Carib for 7 days. Kids ages 11 and 15. We have an inside room that sleeps 4 so I am imagining it is tiny. Do we need to bring towels? how many outfits per person.....

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing for a cruise

Pack a suitcase for each person or put the kids clothes together in one suitcase. Be sure to pack a carry-on with a change of clotes, toothbrushes, swimsuits, etc. This time of year delays happen and lots of luggage gets lost. Pack 3 pairs of shorts, 5 casual shirts, 2 bathing suits, sneakers, sandals, dress pants for boys, skirt/dresses for girls, a sweater, sweatshirt or jacket (it is cold on the cruise ship). Towels for the pool are provided and you can borrow them as well for shore excursions. The 2 formal nights are really nice. Boys can get away with dress pants, dress shirt, a tie and dress shoes. Girls should wear a dress and dressy shoes. Women should wear dressy clothes and men a suit w/tie or tux if you want. Dinner in the dining room on other nights are more casual in terms of dress pants and a collared shirt for men/boys and capris and sweaters, skirts, sundresses for girls. Try to color coordinate your wardrobe to cut down on shoes and clothes. Try to mix and match as much as possible. Most people pack too much. Some cruise ships have washer/dryers available as well.

5. Re: Packing for a cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 19:19
Get answers to your questions