We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe Destination w/ Young Children (ages 6, 4, 1)

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
538 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Europe Destination w/ Young Children (ages 6, 4, 1)

My husband and I are planning a return trip to Europe with our 3 children sometime next June. We have previously visited London, Bath, Paris, Champagne Region, Rome, Florence and Pisa. We are having trouble settling on a destination that would provide a nice balance of history and interest for the adults combined with some enjoyable downtime and activities for children. I’ve poured over “Top Destinations for Kids” lists and have started to overwhelm myself. I figured I’d see what people on the forum had to say.

Here are the details...

Who: Family of 5 (children’s ages at time of travel will be 6, 4, 1) and one set of grandparents ( in their late 50’s).

When: Mid to late June 2019. We will likely have 15 days in total.

Where: This is where I need help! We don’t mind bouncing around to a few destinations as long as it’s not overdoing it.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

8 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe Destination w/ Young Children (ages 6, 4, 1)

Since youve been to France, England and Italy, and are looking for another European destination, then Spain is a good idea, IME/O........

I see youve got another post about Barcelona already on the Spain Destination Forums, linked below for reference

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g187427…

Also have a look in the "Search" box here, youll find numerous other threads about Europe travel with families on this forum that might be helpful, while waiting for other families to reply

Edited: 16 June 2018, 14:29
Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,701 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe Destination w/ Young Children (ages 6, 4, 1)

Search Croatia...incredibly beautiful with a dizzying array of family activities. That time of year is the best here. Idyllic medieval hilltop villages, spectacular islands, fascinating history, ancient cities, mountains, sea activities, ruins to explore, aquariums, museums, dolphin spotting are just a few.

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe Destination w/ Young Children (ages 6, 4, 1)

The Baltics (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania) could be an option.

Far from crowded, plenty of history with being under foreign rule for centuries (Swedish, Danish, German, Soviet, Viking etc).

Cheap, child firendly, plenty of beaches and very relaxed. More or less everybody speaks English very well.

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
538 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe Destination w/ Young Children (ages 6, 4, 1)

Thanks for the ideas! There are definitely some that I hadn’t considered.

5. Re: Europe Destination w/ Young Children (ages 6, 4, 1)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2018, 11:53

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe Destination w/ Young Children (ages 6, 4, 1)

#5---spam

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe Destination w/ Young Children (ages 6, 4, 1)

I agree with Eden, Spain is probably the best choice for you but Greece might work too.

In Spain I would suggest the Costa Del Sol. Malaga has plenty of museums to visit and historical things and places to visit too. Nerja has beautiful caves to visit and an interesting museum to visit. If you do choose Spain and this idea when you go to Nerja visit the museum first. Also with the Costa Del Sol you have some lovely beaches for the Children along with Waterparks too.

Greece is a different proposition entirely and would probably have to be a 2 centre affair. Obviously Athens and an Island if your choice

Happy planning and travels

Bilbao, Spain
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Europe Destination w/ Young Children (ages 6, 4, 1)

Bulgaria is also a great choice for a summer vacation! You can check some of the Black Sea resorts.. for example Aheloy is away from the noise of the big city. There you can enjoy tranquility and silence. The sea is very clean, surrounded by a beautiful nature.

Reply to: Europe Destination w/ Young Children (ages 6, 4, 1)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions