We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NZ to Greece, Germany, Italy and Spain

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
NZ to Greece, Germany, Italy and Spain

We are a family of 4 (x2 daughters 19 and 15) and are looking at travelling to from Auckland to Greece, Germany, Italy, Spain and may be London though not as important. We are looking at travelling around Mid Dec to Mid January for approx 4-5 weeks. We plan to have Xmas in Germany with family friends. We would like to know the best route that allows us not to back track and save on time travel especially. Would prefer to go somewhere in Italy that isn't too frenetic. Northern Italy perhaps? We have been to Rome and Venice so would like to see somewhere different. Milan maybe?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

6 replies to this topic
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
141 reviews
1. Re: NZ to Greece, Germany, Italy and Spain

As you intend visiting many countries within Europe. I'd suggest getting hold of a comprehensive guide book to start with. Lonely Planet have a guide called Europe on a Shoe String, which not only covers all the practical aspects of a multi destination trip ( trains, planes,local transport, visa's & weather etc) but also covers some of the less well known destinations as well as the main iconic sights.

Some of your intended destinations can be reached using the intergrated rail network, & you may find the train info website at www.seat61.com useful.

I'd suggest booking any flights directly with an airline rather than via a 3rd part website. As a direct customer of an airline, you'd be notified of any delay/cancelation due to potential winter weather conditions.

Sounds like a wonderful trip, so good luck with your research & choices.

Edited: 08 May 2018, 11:00
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,172 posts
141 reviews
2. Re: NZ to Greece, Germany, Italy and Spain

Skip Milan, it has very little to offer compared to many other Italian cities.

We did a similar trip and the best way to plan it was to get a map of Europe and highlight our route. You can do it using Google maps also.

Note that in Germany you will have the Christmas markets before Christmas and they are most beautiful.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: NZ to Greece, Germany, Italy and Spain

many thanks for your suggestions. Our intention is to be in Germany for a week prior to xmas to enjoy the xmas markets. Just working out the best flight options from NZ thru to Europe without back tracking.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: NZ to Greece, Germany, Italy and Spain

Thank you for your advice. Looking at dropping London altogether. Focusing mainly on a few days in Italy as the starting point and then going through to Germany, Greece and Spain. ANy suggestions best route to take?

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,932 posts
141 reviews
5. Re: NZ to Greece, Germany, Italy and Spain

Between Italy and Germany, I'd suggest travelling by train. But from Germany to either Greece or Spain, it would be much faster & probably a lot cheaper to fly.

Greece is closer to Italy than it is to to Germany, while Spain & Greece are at opposite sides of Europe.

I'm not sure where in Greece you want visit, but please note, in the winter months, many of the ferry services to the Greek Islands are substantially reduced or suspended altogether. Flights to some islands are also reduced or suspended, & many accommodation owners use the winter months for repairs, maintenance, or their own travels.

Spain is a more or less all year round destination, and internal travel can be achieved by the excellent inter city rail network. The coastal airports may operate a marginally reduced winter time table, but the big cities still operate a comprehensive schedule. Snow may occasionally affect Madrid.

The logistics of your route will require a mixture of flights & possibly trains. To some degree you may need to double back on yourself. If you can opt for open jaw flights ( flying into 1 international hub airport, but back home from another), you'll save yourself the tedium (and cost) of back tracking and have more flexibility on routes.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
828 posts
6. Re: NZ to Greece, Germany, Italy and Spain

Europe on a shoestring has been mentioned but I have always found Rough Guide to books better myself. With the trip you are planning I would get both.

You say you are staying in Germany with relatives. I would drop Spain from the equation and maybe add Austria, Hungary or Croatia as you intend heading for Greece.

I saw the ferry problem at that time of the year has been mentioned so I'll skip that.

With regard to the best route for your journey get a European Atlas or Map. Have no idea who is the best now. Certainly work out what is the best route for you and underline or highlight it. We can't do that for you, we don't know where you are starting in Germany. What you could do is go on to the Germany, Italy and Greece forums and ask about the best possible routes for what you plan to do but tell them the start and finish points.

Have fun planning what sounds to be a wonderful adventure.

Reply to: NZ to Greece, Germany, Italy and Spain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted