We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland Golf Trip -- Is April or October better?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland Golf Trip -- Is April or October better?

I'm planning my first golfing trip to Scotland. I've been there before (not for golf) in the summer time. I'm curious to hear other's opinions regarding going there (Edinburgh, St. Andrews & Inverness/Dornoch) either in April or October.

I'm looking for something less crowded than the high summer months. I'm partial to fall weather, but April has a couple more hours of daylight everyday and that matters. We won't just be golfing ... sort of play 18 one day, distillery/castle tours the next, then back to golf. I figure more daylight will help with sightseeing, etc. beyond golf.

Thanks for any comments/opinions!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland Golf Trip -- Is April or October better?

Scottish weather is famously unpredictable but I'd probably chose April over October myself. April has had great golfing weather in the last few years, but that doesn't mean the pattern will repeat.

The extra daylight is definitely a bonus on a golfing/touring trip.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland Golf Trip -- Is April or October better?

Thanks! I figure we can't lose either way, but I do think the extra sunshine will be of benefit!

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland Golf Trip -- Is April or October better?

I'd echo what the other reviewer posted: the weather is as likely to be good in October as it is in April but the extra daylight in April would be the tiebreaker. Regarding the regions you choose to visit, the Highlands area is often overlooked in favor of its more famous cousin St Andrews but we'd suggest that with the addition of the incredible new course in Inverness, Castle Stuart, and Royal Dornoch less than an hour away, the Highlands is a don't miss region when you visit Scotland. And the East Lothian area is a gold mine when it comes to fantastic golf courses at great values. Wherever you go, you can't go wrong with a journey to the Home of Golf!

Edited: 09 December 2011, 19:40
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland Golf Trip -- Is April or October better?

Thanks! I'm definitely inclined towards April.

5. Re: Scotland Golf Trip -- Is April or October better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 January 2012, 19:05
6. Re: Scotland Golf Trip -- Is April or October better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions