We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 states + baseball

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
147 posts
54 reviews
5 states + baseball

There are 5 states I have yet to visit: Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas & Tennessee.

We would be doing a road trip starting in Santa Rosa CA. Being native Californians we are familiar with Route 66 in SoCal. Driving some streets in Route 66 would be good.

Vague itinerary:

1. Scottsdale AZ, 3 nites,

2. Santa Fe

3. Texas Rangers & Astros; San Antonio, maybe Austin

4. Oklahoma?

5. Arkansas?

6. Mississippi?

7. Alabama?

8. Tennessee?

9. baseball: St. Louis & Kansas City

We would like a month-6 wks.

What's possible & what should we put off for another trip?

Thanks,

Betz

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,923 posts
508 reviews
1. Re: 5 states + baseball

Some suggestions-

You could come across I 40 and hit ABQ and Santa Fe then thru Texas panhandle to OKC . OKC has Cowboy Hall of Fame and OKC memorial then on to Little Rock for Clinton museum and Civil Rights and then head to Memphis for Elvis, Beale Street, Civil Rights and good food then take I 22 down to Tupelo and on to Birmingham, AL and then to Vicksburg and Natchez, MS which have loads of history, Civil war sights, antebellum homes and great food.

You can then head back to either I 20 or I 10 and head across Texas toward either Dallas or Houston and San Antonio.

Do not know exactly how to fit St. Louis and KC in your mix as they are further north.

Just some ideas!!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
147 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: 5 states + baseball

What is ABQ?

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: 5 states + baseball

Taking your schedule...

A day between Northern California and Scotsdale... we like to stop in Paso Robles and wine taste...

Then Scottsdale AZ, 3 nights (we are now at 4 nights...)

ABQ mentioned above is Albuquerque.... and a good stopping place if taking your time... Santa Fe is only an hour or so beyond so you have most of day in Santa Fe. (with a couple of days in Santa Fe you are now a week in...)

I suggest you continue along Rt 66... save Texas for later... so OKC (Oklahoma City) They have a minor league stadium (and team)

Then continue on Rt 66 to St Louis and Kansas City... Maybe now second week or so... game schedules will dictate some of the schedule here)

Drop south to Arkansas, then east to Memphis Tenn.... You can dodge east to Nashville... then south to Mississippi... Alabama is a short drive east.... (taking your time you are now near three weeks... or only 2 and a half...)

New Orleans is to the west... use New Orleans to waste time to make the baseball schedule work... you are never really wasting time when in NO... Then on to Houston for the Astros... North to catch the Rangers... then Austin... (the baseball schedules will have influenced some of your schedule through here, but we are at no more than a month...

Home via either I-10 directly to Tucson, or maybe south via Hwy 90 and Marfa... then on to Tucson... On the way El Paso has the Chihuahuas, Tucson has the Padres, both minor league teams...

Take two or three days home from Tucson and its a 5 week trip... Alternately you could follow I-8 to San Diego and catch a Padres Game... then to LA if the Dodgers are playing... Yes, the Dodgers... I am a Giants fan, but grew up with Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale and went to games at the Coliseum with the tall chain link fence... before Dodger stadium...

Go Giants...

Randy

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
147 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: 5 states + baseball

Randy,

These are some great suggestions to consider. I was a Dodgers fan, & Sam saw Drysdale pitch a no hitter.

We did a separate trip to New Orleans, and will skip it this time. We used to make annual trips Paso/Avila Beach for wine fundraiser for the local PBS station. We'll stopover somewhere, but not to sightsee. We need to stop in Palm Springs to see friends, don't know if coming or going.

3 nites Scottsdale

3 nites Santa Fe

Q: 3 nites Texas baseball?

3 nites Oklahoma City

3 nites St. Louis

3 nites KC

3 nites Arkansas

3 nites Tennessee

3 Mississippi

3 nites Alabama

about 30 days then back home.

Thoughts?

Just read this to Sam & we both agree this is too much. I'll re-post after deciding what to include for this trip.

thanks to Peach, too.

Betz

5. Re: 5 states + baseball

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2016, 05:17